• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to put someone off buying a bunny

ecudc

Warren Veteran
A friend of Toby's (dave for those who have met him) just phoned up toby about "where you get rabbit hutches from" because a neighbour has had babies and he is thinking about having 1/2, He's a lovely lad but is very phase orientated and I don't think an outdoor bun would hold his interest sufficiently long and the bun would end up at mine or chloes before the year is out.

How do I put him off:

Cost of hutch & run (probably about £200+ for a decent size)
Size of hutch and run (small garden)
Cost of keeping rabbits (About £10 a week)
Vaccinations about £50 a bun a year
Neutering (£40 +)
Mucking out even in dreadful weather

anything else??????????????????????????? He and his missus were thinking about getting a cat and she has had cats and loked after them well before so I also need a way to make cats sound better than bunnys.

It's highly unlikely they'll be held, cuddled and sit on a lap? ^^' A common sort of misconception... and something a cat instead would be more likely to do?

Hmmm the amount of time it takes to keep them clean too? Esp. in summer to keep them scrupulously clean - then tell him all about flystrike etc and bum checking for maggot eggs etc!!

Chewing chewing and erm... chewing!
Keeping them happy and entertained, teeth checks, grooming, protecting from foul weather, bringing them indoors in storms (I do anyway) boarding while out or on holiday, checking for poops and hay intake, caecal eating etc. claw clipping......

Erm, why do I have rabbits again? :rolleyes: Oh yeah, because Im mental! :lol::lol:

I'm quite good at putting people off buying bunnies, and friends who know nothing about bunnies also put off other friends, by telling them my story! :shock::lol: ie bunnies are sick all the time, they cost me thousands in 2 years etc! :roll:

age thing definately will put him off.
Get sick at drop of a hat good. He said he's get insurance, I told him how much that would be. he was surprised.
Not liking being handled not so good as my bun sooty who I had from a baby is very tame.

Show him a bill of an emergency vet visit bill. Show his scratch marks on your arms... make him clean one of your hutches. Put a rabbit poo in his hand. :D

mmm grey hairs, he is quite keen on his appearance.

unfortunately in the year that I've owned rabbits, no vet bill other than vacinations.

No scratchmarks either, honey and rosie are skittish but not wigglers. Maybe I should send him round to chloes to play with scamp aka damion.

I'm liking the idea of getting him to clean out my litter trays. Maybe I'll leave one for three days, it should be quite high by then.

mmm grey hairs, he is quite keen on his appearance.

unfortunately in the year that I've owned rabbits, no vet bill other than vacinations.

No scratchmarks either, honey and rosie are skittish but not wigglers. Maybe I should send him round to chloes to play with scamp aka damion.

I'm liking the idea of getting him to clean out my litter trays. Maybe I'll leave one for three days, it should be quite high by then.

would you like a picture of a cut i was given on my hand which is now a scar!!! we have one very sharp clawer wriggler! :lol:

In the last 2 years that I have had bunnies, I suspect I've spent about £2,000 in vets bills... for 2 bunnies. That's obviously without all the stuff I've bought for them online etc. It would be way higher if I wasn't able to keep my own meds here and treat my own emergencies for the last year! :shock:

It's probably worth pointing out that when bunnies get ill it is usually an emergency. And emergencies usually happen out of vet hours. As well as being incredibly stressful, it's obviously hideously expensive.

I've noticed that buns seem to always get ill at weekend :shock:

I've just found out they are lionheads too which means grooming. Unfortunately it means they are also bundles of cute fluff. I also found out the are 4 weeks old so thankfully have 4 more weeks to persuade him off them (neigbour seems to know her stuff, even if she is daft enough to breed two rabbits)

Back