• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oh dear what have I done!

sarahangel

New Kit
Hi to you all
I am so glad to have found this forum as I am in great need of some moral support.

We have a number of animals guinea pigs dogs, children! and we had 2 rabbits until recently when our little dutch girl died. Her lifetime love our dwarf lop neutered boy was devastated as he followed her everywhere and adored her. Yesterday my daughter pursuaded me that we should get another rabbit as company for him and I did. She is a 16 week dwarf lop and seemed very friendly yesterday. we let her settle in and picked her up today. however the second time we picked her up and my daughter was holding her, she nipped my daughter which upset her.

I am pretty used to animals, in fact I work with dogs, but I have never quite got the hang of rabbits. I have read a good deal on the subject, but never had a rabbit (any of the 3 i owned) that was ok with being cuddled and stroked. I am in for the long haul but really need some support and advice about the way to go. Our other rabbit was an rspca rescue and an adult when we got him, he will tolerate being picked up, but does not enjoy it, or being stroked.

Handling advice would be really appreciated as my daughter loves this little girl ( she has named her Lily) already and I want this to be a positive experience for her.

Sarah

Don't panic! I've had a nip from most of my bunnies when they were younger and getting used to being handled. They're just trying the boundaries and need to learn not to do it! (like kids really :lol:) For the time being I would do the bunny handling yourself until you are more confident. Start with short periods and reward bunny with something tasty when she is in your arms. Let your daughter stroke her too so that she gets used to her scent aswell as yours. Be patient! It's going to take time for your new addition to get used to you ... and she's only young after all! When the time comes though (usually about 5-6 months) I would definitely recommend getting her spayed, as this will also help to calm her down.

Hope all this helps - good luck with your new bunny x

Thank you so much, I feel more positive already. I will check out getting her spayed and follow your handling suggestion.

It is very comforting to know there are people to call on for help.

Thanks again
Sarah

Hi Sarah

My advice is if they dont like being picked up try to avoid it to start with. You want the new bun to want to be with you, you cant force these things, the more she trusts you the better she will be to handle. I spend hours everyday with my buns, easier because they are housebuns, sit on the floor and let her come to you and your daughter on her terms, she needs to get used to you, maybe give her a few natural treats when she comes to you as a reward, she will start seeing you as a good thing then and want to be with you. Most bunnies dont like being picked up, mine are used to it but i dont think its something they are very keen on, they prefer to follow me. If you annoy your bunnies by not giving them their space they will learn to avoid contact with you in my experience.

Sit and talk to them so your new bun gets used to your voice and smell, im sure she will settle and start wanting to be with you. I take it shes not neutered yet either? At 16 weeks she is likely to be hormonal and with new smells and surroundings she probably feels threatened. Have you introduced the buns yet?

Welcome to the forum:wave: I'm sure she'll settle down once she is used to her new surroundings and all the strange scents and two foots!!! Are you planning to bond her with your dwarf lop? If so, it will help to have her spayed as she'll be less territorial and it prevents uterine/ovarian cancers. Keep us all updated with your progress..oh, and some piccies would be lovely!!!!:lol:

:lol: i have had Daisy a year in septemeber and she can still nip occasionally!:roll::lol: i have just come to a happy medium with her...she doesn't like cuddles really, but knows i need 2 pick her up to check her etc...she is fine for about 5min then she starts nipping :roll: i tell her no and make her wait an extra minute, so it's on my terms that i'm going to let her go and not on hers!Then she is like...oh..ok:roll::lol:

Yes we are hoping to bond her with Woody our lop boy. She is in a dog crate temporarily, in the shed opposite his hutch so thay can see each other. He was the submissive one in the last relationship, so i hoped that would help.

I will be taking her for her jabs next week and ask about having her spayed.

Just picked her up with renewed confidence before I gave her tea and she was fine.
Thanks for all the advice
Sarah x

I expect she's just getting used to being handled - if she is treated gently she will learn that you are no threat so aggression wont take hold of her personality.

Definitely recommend getting her spayed though because my rabbit was a little angel till she got hormonal and then she was a kicking biting demon and I had to put ski gloves on to handle her :shock:

Back