• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Bunnie - not eating

gillmanning

Alpha Buck
I bought 2 little (dwarf) rabbits on Thursday (my first), both male I understand and was told they were 12 weeks old. One (Zola) is doing really well, eating, sleeping, playing and looks relaxed. The other one (Dennis) had some diarhoea on Friday night and seems to have stopped eating. I took them both to the vets in the afternoon to have them checked over and to ask about Dennis's poorliness. The vet gave him some antibiotics, a pro-biotic and some liquid hay. He still doesn't seem himself today. He eats the odd bit of hay, a bit of fresh grass and some watercress stalks. I am able to give him the liquid hay by syringe. I can't see the diarhoea any more (I don't think). I've noticed he does has a bit of a wet chin, and keeps licking it. One other strange thing I noticed was that while I was washing his chin, he liked to lick the water off the kitchen towel so I think he must be thirsty - I don't see him at the water bottle. I kept refreshing the water on the kitchen towel and he licked for a good five minutes. He also likes to gently chew on material (clothing, the curtains). Am I ok to keep going as I am or should I take Dennis back to the vets - any advice? Thanks.

I think you should give your vet a call and see what they say. To be on the safe side they will probably want to see him again. It is good that he is eating a bit of hay as this will help. If it is gut stasis (where the stomach stops working so nothing comes out and anything they do eat gets blocked so they stop eating or going to the loo) he will stop pooing as well so keep an eye on that as bunnies can go downhill very quickly with this and need to be seen by a vet asap. This is normally why the vet will want to see a bunny again as they need to listen to the stomach noises to be sure it is not gut stasis.

Some bunnies don't like drinking from bottles so give him some water in a bowl to see if he finds it easier to drink from the bowl.

I agree - back to the vets and offer a water bowl.

BTW did the vet check both are boys? It's quite common for people to post on here to say "I was told they were both the same sex but now one's pregnant..." Safest to double check!! ;)

Hope Dennis gets better soon :)

Has Dennis passed any 'normal' faecal pellets?

I am a bit concerned that the Vet gave antibiotics :? These are generally contraindicated in Rabbits with GI upsets, especially Babies.
Dehydration is a real risk if a Baby Bun has/has had diarrhoea. So it is *essential* Dennis is drinking plenty.
Drooling in Baby Rabbits ( causing a wet chin) can indicate pain. Pain will also stop the Bun from eating. I would *defnately* get Dennis back to the Vet ASAP. Meantime try to insure he is warm ( he needs to be indoors) and that he is drinking.

Janex

Thank you for all your helpfull messages. I will def take Dennis back to the vets tomorrow. He is now constantly licking the fur under his chin and he is red raw with no fur left - I can't stop him doing this. He looks like a poor little rabbit for one so young. Another sleepless night worrying about him.

Back