• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safest VHD jab

raine

Warren Veteran
My buns are due to go for their VHD jabs this week and I wondered which vaccine we have decided is the safest to use. I know some bunnies have sadly had severe reactions to some vaccine and I don't know whether to contact my vet and get him to order-in a recommended one. I have never asked which manufacturer my vet is using and perhaps I should have.

Kirsty, I am so sorry that you lost Roryx

Lola had a bad reaction to Cylap (limping, pulled all the fur out of the site making it bleed a lot) and sadly we lost Rory from what we suspect to be a severe reaction to Lapinject. However it is highly likely that Rory was habouring other issues which surfaced due to the stress the injection placed upon him. We are currently struggling with what to do when Lola is due her booster. She isn't one yet so has only had one. I'm probably not the best person to ask about this right now but i wanted to give my side. I would say that the severe reactions to the injection are very rare where as cases of VHD are not:(

We use Lapinject in our practice and touch wood we havnt had many reactions that I'm aware of.
Has ur bunny had the vacc before? If it has you might be ok if they were fine last time?:)
xx

I'd also like to know as Honey's is due next month and I couldn't decide whether to have her done as she had a reaction last time.

Lapinject gives immunity much more quickly than cylap (6 days as opposed to 14) but unless there's been a change recently it comes in a vial which does 5 animals and has to all be used on the same day or discarded. So you may find that the type used will depend on how many buns you are taking and how many others are booked in for vaccines that day.

Thanks everyone for your opinion. I think I will check with my vet tomorrow and see what they have been given in the past.

Lapinject gives immunity much more quickly than cylap (6 days as opposed to 14) but unless there's been a change recently it comes in a vial which does 5 animals and has to all be used on the same day or discarded. So you may find that the type used will depend on how many buns you are taking and how many others are booked in for vaccines that day.

It does come in 5's as far as I'm aware..... which is interesting, cos in theory if you have say, 3-5 buns, it should work out a fair bit cheaper to vaccinate them at the same time, but I wonder how many vets offer it as an alternative, or if you specifically ask for it, do you get it for the reduced price?

Last edited:

I ordered a 5 vial of Lapinject - but was told it would last until its expiry date in June 09. Please can you confirm if its true it has to be discarded? I'm not fussed as it was only £7.04 but need to know whether to get them to order some more for my new bunny & Nushka. I'm the only one they get it in for.

Thanks

Jx

I ordered a 5 vial of Lapinject - but was told it would last until its expiry date in June 09. Please can you confirm if its true it has to be discarded? I'm not fussed as it was only £7.04 but need to know whether to get them to order some more for my new bunny & Nushka. I'm the only one they get it in for.

Thanks

Jx

As far as I know once its opened, it has to be used that day.

We requested Lapinject be ordered in at our vets ad they have since switched to it entirely.

The VHD vaccine should never be given to a rabbit that is known to be immuno-compromised.

Can i just ask what would happen if it was used after the day of opening? I know i'm looking for answers i will never find but i can't get my mind of the what if's

Can i just ask what would happen if it was used after the day of opening? I know i'm looking for answers i will never find but i can't get my mind of the what if's

I don't know I'm afraid, but the link I posted had the manufacturer details on i think. Thinking of you x

I dont think it would make the Rabbit ill but the Vaccine may not be effective and therefore not offer protection against VHD.

What is important is that the Vet gives the Bun a health check before vaccinating him/her. This should include checking Buns heart and lungs an abdominal examination and checking for any signs of nasal/occular discharge. Also asking Buns owner about any health concerns they may have about the Bun. Weighing the Bun would also be useful for future reference. The vet should not just draw up the vaccine and inject it without giving the health check first.

ETA I use Lapinject and *So far* have had no problems re adverse side effects :)

Janex

Last edited:
I dont think it would make the Rabbit ill but the Vaccine may not be effective and therefore not offer protection against VHD.

What is important is that the Vet gives the Bun a health check before vaccinating him/her. This shoud include checking Buns heart and lungs an abdominal examination and checking for any signs of nasal/occular discharge. Also asking Buns owner about any health concerns they may have about the Bun. Weighing the Bun would also be useful for future reference. The vet should not just draw up the vaccine and inject it without giving the health check first.

Janex

Thanks Jane, My vet gave Rory a good check before giving the vaccine. She checked his eyes, nose, bottom and listened to his heart beat. I know i can't change anything now, i just keep thinking that it was my fault somehow. It's hard to accept that these things *just happen*

Sorry for hijacking the thread:( I think i should stop torturing myself

Thanks Jane, My vet gave Rory a good check before giving the vaccine. She checked his eyes, nose, bottom and listened to his heart beat. I know i can't change anything now, i just keep thinking that it was my fault somehow. It's hard to accept that these things *just happen*

Sorry for hijacking the thread:( I think i should stop torturing myself

I am sure that we would all be asking ourselves 'what if' in your situation. But you could not possibly have known what would happen. It really was a tragic event and you are most definately not 'to blame'

:cry:

Janex

Would you give a bunny with liver problems the vaccine? She had it last year with the same health problems. Im just worried about not having her vaccinated.

Back