• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blind in one eye

Kipper

Mama Doe
Im looking for an orange rex & as Ive been unable to find one in a rescue I contacted a breeder last night. Hes got a 14 week old buck who's blind in one eye. Ive emailed asking how this happened but still havent received a reply. Does anyone know how this may affect the buns behaviour?

Last edited:
He may be a little more jumpy if you approach him on that side; he may also keep his head close to the floor when he cleans it & his ears...Lucifer does that & she has a cataract in one eye, she also is hesitant to jump onto things & doesn't do big binkies.

Poor Lucifer. How did he lose his sight in one eye? Is a sightless eye any more likely to get infected than a working eye?

Poor Lucifer. How did he lose his sight in one eye? Is a sightless eye any more likely to get infected than a working eye?

It's a cataract, the vet reckons it was most likely a genetic thing. The only thing to watch out for is pressure building up in the eye (glaucoma) but other than that it's just like a normal eye.

Ah right doesnt sound as bad as I thought it would though think my home might be a bit busy for a rabbit that cant see on one side. I already have 3 buns & 4 cats. The buns rule the roost though lol

Ah right doesnt sound as bad as I thought it would though think my home might be a bit busy for a rabbit that cant see on one side. I already have 3 buns & 4 cats. The buns rule the roost though lol

I would say it's more of a personality thing. Sometimes Nyx really bothers Lucifer when he's running around, sometimes he doesn't. Lucifer's favourite thing to do, oddly enough, is to jump up onto the window ledge & look out at what's happening on my street! She needs a step below the window to help her out, but that's the only thing I've had to change for her.

So you have no regrets in taking on Lucifer?

Absolutely not. I didn't know she had a cataract before I got her (she was a pet shop bun) but I'd still have her. She's a character, and can be moody - but I'm sure she would have been the same without the cataract - I :love: her any way she is!

:D Thats good to know. Now I just have to decide whether to go for him or a nethie ive fallen for big time.

My bunny Maa had an eye removed a couple of years ago - she's a lovely, affectionate bunny and it doesn't bother her - She's not bonded with another rabbit, and I do take care to go the long way around when I approach her and her blind side is turned to me - I'll go in a big loop so she sees me coming, rather than startle her by just suddenly appearing next to her good eye.

Back