PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP - Is it Myxi?

montyflossy
30-03-2008, 11:17 AM
This morning I have noticed that Bagel my 6 year old bunny has weeping eyes. His left eye is swollen and half closed. He is a bit snuffly but this is quite normal for him.
I panaicked as soon as I saw him - to me it looks like it could be myxi :shock::cry:
Bagel was vaccinated 7 monhs ago (I know I feel awful as I'm behind with it.)

What should I do?

My vet does not work Sundays, the emergency vet is 90 call out which I don't mind paying but I don't think the vets are very good (from previous experience)

Am I over reacting on this?

ps no swollen genitals, Bagel is acting normal but he does not look normal :cry:
Please help x

nursecroft
30-03-2008, 11:19 AM
If i was you id ring them for advice first and go from there, really hope its not x

MelanieO
30-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Cud u post a pic?
Hope he is ok
xxx

montyflossy
30-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Yep I'll just go and take one

chloaster
30-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I agree - get on the phone and get some advice from them - if it is myxi you need to catch it asap, but it could be a bit of conjunctivitus or tooth problems. Don't panic just yet.x

loopylop
30-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I agree - get on the phone and get some advice from them - if it is myxi you need to catch it asap, but it could be a bit of conjunctivitus or tooth problems. Don't panic just yet.x

I agree.

Good luck.

sdf76
30-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Does he have what looks like a small pimple near his nose/face or any pimples by the base of his ears? These were the signs of nodular myxi that accompanied the weeping eye with my bun.
Vaccinated rabbits usually get a type of myxi called nodular myxi which has a better prognosis than full myxi.

I personally would get him to a vet.

You could phone the petline for vet help

http://www.vethelpdirect.com/

and describe your rabbits symptoms but it is easy to mistake myxi for conjunctivitus in the early stages. You could go to another vet maybe that's open on Sundays? Or your own vet might think after speaking to you on the phone its ok to wait until the morning?-Sue:)

Fairy13
30-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Yep phone for advice. Hopefully its just an eye infection or something less serious. You must be so worried though. Don't feel bad on advice from our vet ours were only vaccinated once last year as my vet said we were low risk, but i must admit I have been so worried about mine these last few weeks but they were all vaccinated last wednesday and this year I'll be taking no chances and have them done in 6 months time.
I really hope its nothing serious xx x

montyflossy
30-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Here he is:
Bonnie (the black bun) is fine. Bagel is brown and white...
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/lucyandgrant/rabbits003-1.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/lucyandgrant/rabbits002-2.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/lucyandgrant/rabbits001-1.jpg

:cry:

I am going to text my vet now

cannonwoman
30-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Good luck with your vet, I have everything crossed for you that it isn`t myxi.............................

montyflossy
30-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Thank you Su, I am just waiting for a response now.

I adore him :cry:

I have 11 other buns here - is there anything I should do?

nursecroft
30-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Is there anyway you can seperate him from them until you know what it is?

mullethead
30-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Hope its not,I woke up one morning with scarllett with her eye shut n swollen but luckily was not that nasty thing hope its the same for you,keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

MelanieO
30-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Its difficult to say, does look like some sort if eye infection, esp if it is only in one eye for the moment.
Good luck, keep us all updated
x

capel
30-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't think there is any point in separating them.it will only stress him him out and if it is myxi then stress has to be avoided. If he's been vaccinated within the last 6 months then hopefully he'll have the nodular form which is usually treatable. Floss contracted Nod Myxi 2 years running.. each time just a week or two before she was due for her booster. Bournville was fine and never showed any symptoms despite being with her24/7. It could well be that it is just an eye infection. Run your hands over his fur all round his head and face..can you feel any little lumps?

Jack's-Jane
30-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Lucy

I hope that it is conjunctivitis secondary to his Snuffles. Also, being an older Lop he may have Dental problems/elongated tooth roots etc. If the gunky eye is unilateral then I would be optomistic that it is not Myxo. I hope the Vet can confirm this

Janex :)

montyflossy
30-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Thank you everyone. On closer inspection Bagel has just one sore eye. I have checked around the edge of his eye and it is bloodshot like he has had something poke him in the eye. Its watering like our eyes would if we poked them :shock:
I have checked over his whole body and no lumps and bumps and no swollen genitals.
I have bathed his eye with warm water.
I am still waiting for my vet to get back to me, I am reluctant to ring the emergency one - I really don't rate them at all.
Once I have spoken to my vet, and providing he thinks it suitable I will book him to come at 8.00am tomorrow morning.
I have covered Bagel's and Bonnie's home with a blanket but thats about as seperate as I can get them from the other buns.

Some vibes for my lovely little man please :cry:

hurricanhoney
30-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Sending lots of vibes.

capel
30-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Lots of vibes.

nursecroft
30-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Sounds more like an eye infection, sending you tonnes of Vibes xxx

montyflossy
30-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I have spoken to my own vet (lovely man - always available for my paranoid bunny mummy times!)
I described in detail what it looks like and he said it really does not sound sinister. He is coming first thing in the morning though to see my little man :D
Better to be safe than sorry.

capel
30-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi. Hopefully it will be an eye infection easily sorted with eyedrops and/or antibiotics. However, just keep checking for lumps. Each time Floss had Nod Myxi she presented with just one swollen eye..(it seemed to start where her eyebrows would be if she had them:)) and the nodules didn't appear till the following day the last time, and a couple of days later the first time.

Snowy
30-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh flipping 'eck Lucy!!:shock::shock:, sending you masses of vibes for Bagel and loads of calming vibes for you.

If it's any help it looks like an eye infection to me, hope all is well and keep us posted

Fairy13
30-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Aw fingers crossed its nothing too bad then, sending lots of vibes x x x

capel
30-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Should have said that F's eye, though swollen, wasn't weepy..the only time she's had a weepy eye, it was a plain and simple eye infection:)

Lea-Anne
30-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Monty's eye was only watery to begin with. Myself and Hilda both thought he had caught it on something. A few hours later he was holding it shut permanently but it never got swollen. when several nodules appeared he was rushed to the emergency vet :D Those were the only symptoms he showed. :)

Hope Bagel's eye is just from the windy weather we have had recently. Do keep us posted. Great name btw :D:lol:

capel
31-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Any news yet?

montyflossy
31-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Hey :wave:
Bagel is better today!!!!!!!!!!
I am such a paranoid bun mum, but it seems that Bagel must have poked himself in the eye (how, I am not sure!)
No weeping this morning or at all throughout the day, I am so pleased.
Feel a bit of a fool...was crying on my big brothers shoulder last night and now my little man Bagel is looking like nothing happened!:oops::lol:

Thank you for all your posts and quick advice when I panicked! :D

March Hare
31-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Lucy, I totally missed this thread yesterday somehow!!!:roll: I am SO happy to hear that little Bagel is fine now.....but sorry that you had to get so worried!!!!!:(

capel
31-03-2008, 10:43 PM
:thumb::thumb:YAY!!!:thumb::thumb:

p_prod_uk
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
glad it turned out ok. Silly bunny, poking himself in the eye!!
:wave:

Teepee
01-04-2008, 09:08 AM
I am really glad to hear all is well with little Bagel.:D

And nought wrong with being a "paranoid bun-mum" - better safe than sorry!;)

TP