• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE HELP - Is it Myxi?

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
This morning I have noticed that Bagel my 6 year old bunny has weeping eyes. His left eye is swollen and half closed. He is a bit snuffly but this is quite normal for him.
I panaicked as soon as I saw him - to me it looks like it could be myxi :shock::cry:
Bagel was vaccinated 7 monhs ago (I know I feel awful as I'm behind with it.)

What should I do?

My vet does not work Sundays, the emergency vet is £90 call out which I don't mind paying but I don't think the vets are very good (from previous experience)

Am I over reacting on this?

ps no swollen genitals, Bagel is acting normal but he does not look normal :cry:
Please help x

I agree - get on the phone and get some advice from them - if it is myxi you need to catch it asap, but it could be a bit of conjunctivitus or tooth problems. Don't panic just yet.x

Does he have what looks like a small pimple near his nose/face or any pimples by the base of his ears? These were the signs of nodular myxi that accompanied the weeping eye with my bun.
Vaccinated rabbits usually get a type of myxi called nodular myxi which has a better prognosis than full myxi.

I personally would get him to a vet.

You could phone the petline for vet help

http://www.vethelpdirect.com/

and describe your rabbits symptoms but it is easy to mistake myxi for conjunctivitus in the early stages. You could go to another vet maybe that's open on Sundays? Or your own vet might think after speaking to you on the phone its ok to wait until the morning?-Sue:)

Yep phone for advice. Hopefully its just an eye infection or something less serious. You must be so worried though. Don't feel bad on advice from our vet ours were only vaccinated once last year as my vet said we were low risk, but i must admit I have been so worried about mine these last few weeks but they were all vaccinated last wednesday and this year I'll be taking no chances and have them done in 6 months time.
I really hope its nothing serious xx x

Here he is:
Bonnie (the black bun) is fine. Bagel is brown and white...
rabbits003-1.jpg

rabbits002-2.jpg

rabbits001-1.jpg

:cry:

I am going to text my vet now

Hope its not,I woke up one morning with scarllett with her eye shut n swollen but luckily was not that nasty thing hope its the same for you,keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Its difficult to say, does look like some sort if eye infection, esp if it is only in one eye for the moment.
Good luck, keep us all updated
x

I don't think there is any point in separating them.it will only stress him him out and if it is myxi then stress has to be avoided. If he's been vaccinated within the last 6 months then hopefully he'll have the nodular form which is usually treatable. Floss contracted Nod Myxi 2 years running.. each time just a week or two before she was due for her booster. Bournville was fine and never showed any symptoms despite being with her24/7. It could well be that it is just an eye infection. Run your hands over his fur all round his head and face..can you feel any little lumps?

Hi Lucy

I hope that it is conjunctivitis secondary to his Snuffles. Also, being an older Lop he may have Dental problems/elongated tooth roots etc. If the gunky eye is unilateral then I would be optomistic that it is not Myxo. I hope the Vet can confirm this

Janex :)

Thank you everyone. On closer inspection Bagel has just one sore eye. I have checked around the edge of his eye and it is bloodshot like he has had something poke him in the eye. Its watering like our eyes would if we poked them :shock:
I have checked over his whole body and no lumps and bumps and no swollen genitals.
I have bathed his eye with warm water.
I am still waiting for my vet to get back to me, I am reluctant to ring the emergency one - I really don't rate them at all.
Once I have spoken to my vet, and providing he thinks it suitable I will book him to come at 8.00am tomorrow morning.
I have covered Bagel's and Bonnie's home with a blanket but thats about as seperate as I can get them from the other buns.

Some vibes for my lovely little man please :cry:

Back