• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chinchillas!!!

billysmom

Mama Doe
:wave:HI I KNOW THIS IS FOR BUNNY ALK BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CHINCHILLAS OR KNOW OF ANY ONE WHO OWNS ONE A BIG THANKYOU:D BILLY&ROO,S MOM

Chinchilla Care.

:wave:WELL IM A PROUD OWNER OF TWO BUNS AND HAVE HAD MICE.A FRIEND OF MY SONS AS HAD A CHINCHILLA FOR JUST 3MONTHS AND IS NOW HAVING A DOG! SO CHINCHILLA HAS TO GO:cry: I THINK THIS IS REALLY SAD AND HAVE OFFERED THE CHINCHILLA A HOME, I NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM SO I CAN GIVE IT 100% CARE, PLUS IT HASNT BEEN HANDLED MUCH WILL IT GAIN MY TRUST? I VISITED MY LOCAL PET SUPPLIES TODAY AND LEARNT THEY CAN LIVE UP TO 20 YRS, THEY PREFER THE COLD, NOCTURNAL, WOOD FOR THERE TEETH.ANY INFO I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE.:p

Aaaaaw lucky you. Oki dokes a few basics for Chinchilla care

1. Chinchilla proof everything as they will explore everything with their teeth especially wires

2. Get a marble slab to keep it cool and place the slab in fridge every day to cool it down

3. Offer a daily dust bath of approx 20 mins, any longer andit gets stuck in their dense fur

4. Offer a high fibre, high protein diet and avoid low fat and moisture and definitely no greens, peanuts or sunflower seeds as they cause colic and bloat. A Chinchilla pellet is best - about 1 tablespoon a day for an adult, also offer good quality fresh hay every day.

5. You can use applewood or rodent toys for them to chew on as their teeth grow fast and they need things to gnaw on

6. Before you let it out for exercise (which it should have every day) you need to know you can catch it again. Gain it's trust first by offering their favourite treat (usually a raisin or sultanna) let them get used to taking this from your hand then start by gently stroking it under the chin. Once it is doing this let it out in a small area supervised and again keep offering the treats so it associates coming to you with getting a reward. When it has been doing this for a while you can attempt to pick it up - but please NEVER pick it up by its tail as some will advise you. You can support it by holding the base of it's tail only.

7. Be warned that if it feels threatened in any way it will stand on its hind legs and spray urine at you.

If it starts to lose it's fur or pull it out, it is an indication of poor diet or stress

Let us know how you get on

Chinchilla

:wave:HI THANKS FOR INFORMATION I WILL TAKE THIS ALL ON BOARD, I WILL KEEP IN CONTACT AS GREAT TO KNOW YOUR KNOWLEDGE.THANKYOU.:p

Hi,

To add a few more bits to the good advice from HH....

1. As chins are masters of destruction when it comes to their toys, try this website for some excellent toys etc

http://www.erodent.co.uk/RodentsAndChewing.htm

2. Chins are very prone to dental problems so always check that they are eating well. It can be hard to gauge if they've lost weight because of the fur.
It wouldn't hurt to have an initial check up at the vets once acquired as well. Molars are particularly a problem.

3. As HH said about not leaving the dust bath in, be aware that they will also use it as a toilet if left for too long.

Good luck :)

Make sure the accomodation is made of wire and wood.

I had a chinchilla a few years ago. We were given a cage by the previous owner (it was a rat cage) and she chewed through it.

Also, the wire needs to have tiny squares not bars like a rabbit or guinea pig cage as they can squeeze through small gaps.

H xx

:wave:THANKYOU ALL, IVE VISITED CHINCHILLA SITE GREAT INFO, THE CAGE HES COMING IN (STILL WAITING FOR HIS ARRIVAL) IS A PROPER CHINCHILLA CAGE BUT NOT A LOT IN THERE!! HAVE GOT SOME TOYS ETC WAITING FOR HIM.THANKS AGAIN.:)

Hi Just to add.
Chinchillas can be prone to pneumonia and it is important to keep them out the damp or where they can get wet.
Remember they are nocturnal and allow them piece during the day. Best time to let them out is in the evening when they are waking up (my lot were happy to skip about with the bunnies but i never housed them together as rabbits are alot stronger than chinchillas!).
O they love raisins (i think someone had mentioned but moist veg is not good for a chinchilla).
You should get lots of info on the internet- so you can’t go wrong, Good luck and enjoy your new friend.

Back