• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newbie needing advice pls!

lou0504

Warren Scout
Hi all im new to this site and have a few questions, i have recently got 2 french lops, i looked everywhere to try and find a hutch that i felt was big enough for them, and couldnt, so thinking they would love it i turned my shed into a rabbit house, all lovely fresh bedding, nice toys, mineral blocks, lots of fresh hay, etc it looks lovely and all theyve done, is scratch away at the wood and made3 real big holes in it, like theyre trying to get out, they normally have all day out free in the garden, but as its been really raining havent for 2 days do you think this is why? any suggestions appreciated many thanks

hi there. i have 2 frenchies who live in a shed and one of them was always chewing the wood. i now put several cardboard boxes in there with holes cut out of them and she spends all day making more holes and chewing them to bits - great fun!!

Your buns would probably like to be outside in the rain-our bun does. Her fur is so thick it doesn't penetrate to the skin -just wets the top bit of fur. She has access to a run with roof and sometimes goes in there.
Also- sometimes when the weather is really bad -she goes back in her shed-like room, which she has access to at all times. For a short shower she either sits in it and washes or sits in the shelter of the trees. She also likes to sit under the patio table.

Your rabbits probably cannot understand why somedays they are let out and other days not. Our rabbit has gone out in snow before now- she has a choice. Make sure that the run has 2 exits so that your buns cannot be cornered by a cat. The only times she has not gone out at all is when she has been ill or really severe weather-like before our garden got flooded! She is a very useful barometer! -Sue:wave:

They chew wood because it's a natural thing to do. I would put some fine mesh around the inside of your shed (stapled to the frame) and it should keep your shed safe, and the bunnies safely inside when they need to be. My sister has had to do this with her shed after her two chewed a hole in it. My summerhouse is boarded out so they are not able to chew the walls, they do have a go at the doors though!

I've heard people recommending plasterers mesh for this - it comes in an angled shape and is easy to fix I think. Luckily my shed is brick! I would also go with the cardboard box idea - my group of 4 get through 2 huge boxes a week - they just seem to love ripping holes in them and digging in them :)

Back