• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pica's abcess -yucky pic but happy ending!

Stephanie Cutler

Warren Scout
This was after it was lanced - eek. We think it came from a wild rat bite.- her partner died shortly before we discovered the abcess. One particular vet -mentioning no names pm me if you like- wanted her put down. Apparently treatment would cost 1000's. Strangly it cost under £100 when we took him to another vet. We realy were treated quite badly and made to feel awful accused us of causing suffering:cry: But the second opinion vet said :censored: and prescribed Metacam and daily injections of antbiotics plus a wash 3 times a day. Totally cured now! fab bunny! Has a new husband too:p called Boris.

Picasabcess.jpg

Makes me so upset when i think they could have put her down. N.B that vet got it wrong in two more cases too :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It annoys me when vets are so pig-headed that when they dont know the answer to something they just write it off without bothering to seek a second opinion.

Im so glad she is still with you :)

Aww so pleased she's feeling better and been given another chance. I think vets are aware of how tricky bunny abcesses are to treat and assume it's a death sentence, but I don't necessarily think it's the case now a days and some buns can and do make great recoveries.:D

I'd suggest writing to the original practice and complaining. Put into writing the advice the vet gave and his estimate of cost and then explain the successful treatment and cost form the vet you used. If they don't have a satisfactory reply then you can complain to the RCVS.

Tamsin

Im glad you have suggested that actually because my Savvy vet has printed off the 3 bunnies files for me so im planning a tactful way of handing them to this vet. This particular practice is wonderful for the sanctuarys dogs and cats but not exotics. But i must say something for the sake of other owners and bunnies that use this practice.;)

PTS for an abcess thats not even in an intrusive place?? I bet you'll never want to go the him/her again.... isnt it annoying when you cant trust every vet, I'd certainly say something.

slightly off topic but speaking of vets, my Valerie was spayed on Thursday and also had an abcess removed at the same time... she had to go and see a different vet at the same practice today, and although it was just for a check-up, I was a bit dubious as I havent seen her before. Fortunately it was fine and as she very gently put Valerie back into the carrier, she gave her a kiss on the head! Really made me happy.:)

Back