• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing Our New Addition - Welfare Case Just In Time

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Thought you might like to meet our new little Nethie lady who we have re-named Poppet.

A year ago, I responded to a Freecycle ad and took a little Neddie from a family because the sisters had been fighting despite both being spayed. I was pretty new as far as rabbit welfare was concerned so knew that I would be helping the bunny I removed, but had to leave her sister with the family as I didn't have the knowledge (or the confidence) to make them give her up too. That little girl was bonded very quickly and went to a lovely new home with a forever friend.

This week, a year on, I was contacted by the family and they asked if I would take the remaining sister. They hadn't got her a friend and the family's kids were even less interested in the bunny than they were the last time I visited. I know that kids have more to do at school these days and have less time for pets so I felt that it was fair that they had wanted to rehome her and was particulary pleased that they had contacted me ahead of putting her up on Freecycle as they had with their sister.:(

So, we go today to collect her, hoping that we would be able to introduce her to one of our single fellas needing a wifeybun later this week, but no chance!

Her behind was totally caked in poos and her rear end fur was so totally matted that my OH and I have had to use the shaver. She is totally overweight and can't reach her rear end. She also has very sore hocks as a result. Unlike the last time I was there, I actually told the lady (very nice lady that she is) where she had gone seriously wrong. She was feeding masses of Excel and loads of green veg. There was also litter of shavings with no trays, some straw and an insignificant amount of hay. I have told her that she is lucky that there weren't too many flies this time of year, because had it been warmer her precious bunny's behind would probably have been stripped of it's flesh by flies.

This family are a very nice, normal, educated lot, so it really gobsmacked me to find this bright wee girl in this condition. I am so pleased that we decided to take her, even if it means that we now have 13 buns.

Well, following her shave and her nail clipping, (Edward Scissorhands eat your heart out!) she is quite happily sitting in her new hutch grooming herself. She weighs in at a wopping 4.70lbs or 2.13kgs.

She is a very bright and forward little girl and she has already made her mark on our heart, just like her sister did before.

I'll keep you posted on her progress. She'll be off to see Uncle Ivan the vet for her checkover on Monday so I will know more about her teeth etc then.

Here are a few photos - some are not too pleasant .......

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

Before the shaving....

IMG_0929.jpg

After her clean-up

IMG_0930.jpg

What we took away....

IMG_0935.jpg

And a bad quality photo of one of her hock...........

IMG_0934.jpg

Last edited:
Poor little girl :cry: Im so pleased she is in safe hands now and go on her fitness regime too. Sending lots of vibes to her. She reminds me of my Nethie, Dotty :) x

Well done for cleaning the little sweetie. Poor thing. She will do much better after a diet. Fingers crossed that she will bond with one of your boys in a few weeks. :D

Thanks all.

Do you know what, I have no doubt already that she is going to bond with either one of my boys. She is so amazingly friendly and forward. She has spent most of the afternoon periscoping.

I have fallen for her massively. I think she was sent to be with us!:D

Oh bless, she is SO lovely......WELL DONE for saving her from what would have probably eventually have been a VERY nasty fate. :cry: :cry:

PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

FFS!!:shock::shock::shock:, why do people let bunnies get into such a state!!, well done for getting her in to safety, good luck

Helen she's lovely and a very lucky bun to have had the cleaning job :D

Hi Jill,

Ah thank you. She's been out on the grass in a run today and when she finally realised that it was safe she really made the most of it. She's totally wonderful and so full of life.

Pop in and meet her next time your free!

Hi Jill,

Ah thank you. She's been out on the grass in a run today and when she finally realised that it was safe she really made the most of it. She's totally wonderful and so full of life.

Pop in and meet her next time your free!
:wave: That's a date :D

Oooh shes lovely... and well done for saving and shaving her! That was fly- strike just waiting to happen. :evil:

Oooh shes lovely... and well done for saving and shaving her! That was fly- strike just waiting to happen. :evil:

I think it might have been chips for her if we'd had a few warm days before we got our hands on her. I really can't believe that any one checking their rabbit would think that this was acceptable. Oh well, one down, (one more educated I mean) umpty thousand to go!:D

Back