• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diet advice for greedy bunny

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
One of my rabbits is very greedy and overweight :oops::oops:. I want to put her on a diet but not sure what to give/not give her to reduce her intake.

She eats grass non-stop and will also eat more or less any hay I give her. In addition to this she gets probably on average 1" of carrot, 1.5 spring cabbage leaves per day, maybe some kale and herbs 2-3 times a week and pellets.

My difficulty here is that her husbun refuses hay completely so it is difficult to reduce the pellets (bunny basics) drastically as he had tummy problems last year and these were the only thing that sorted him out. Although I do want him to eat more grass, so was going to try to reduce them more gradually now that the grass season is here.

Katy does pinch the food from out of Homer's mouth :roll::roll: even though she has her own. I have to sit with them to make sure he gets his share. He is not overweight.

Any hints or tips would be gratefully appreciated.

PS - just looked at my siggy which is quite an old picture - Homer has lost weight since this!

I would feed them seperately. If you know how much she should weigh - then give her 20 gram of pellets per kilo she should weigh. Or you can take a guess, if she weighs 2 kilos now, and lets say we think she should weigh about 1,5 kilo, you can give her 30 grams of pellets per day. When she is in good shape, you change the amount of pellets to be 20 g per kilo she does weigh :) If she doesn't take off enough, you give her less. But weight reduction should take time, it's not healthy for them to loose too fast.

Also try giving her only veggies without too much sugar/carbohydrates. But I think the pellets are the most imporatant thing, because it doesn't seem like your giving them too many "less healthy" veggies. You could stop feeding carrot, but you're not giving them alot of this. Also exercise is important, because you want her to build muscle mass as well as loose the extra weight and fat :D

edit - thought about it, would deffo stop feeding carrot :wave:

They are gorgeous! trying to get a picture of Buffy as my signiture but just comes up as a cross any idea what im doing wrong?

Try this

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj272/
crazystephcutler/Roland2.jpg

I put it on two separate lines so it didn't show up. Its still way too big so you will need to resize it in photoshop :)

I am in a similar position really. Duncan is getting a bit chunky but he lives with Frank who is only a little dutch fellow. Duncan will chomp away while Frank does delicate little nibbles. I put two seperate bowls in their hutch yesterday but Duncan finished his and then went on to Frank's. It is very to alter a bunnies eating when another bunny is involved! Any suggestions?

Back