• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question on poo...

Teepee

Mama Doe
:wave:

You may recall that I own 2 little buns that live "free" in my kitchen. They have been very good and have been using the litter tray throughout the day (no wee on floor and only a few little poos around tray to sweep up to date.)

Any-ho! During the night they appear to like "hopping out" of hay-filled pet carrier/large box full of hay and taking a snooze under my table. This is fine, but this morning (and indeed yesterday morning) I found some "sticky" poo under there. This poo is not like the usual "balls" and I strongly suspect that it is the type they are meant to eat...why aren't they then? Are they producing too much of this "special type of dropping" or is it usual for them to produce more than they need eat??:?

I stress that their poos are the usual "balls" throughout the day and neither has a wet bottom or similar - I am 99.9% sure as a result this "stickier" offering is the stuff they are meant eat!:shock:

Thanks for any help!!

TP;)

was there "alot" of the sticky poo? sometimes they make too many caecotrophs if they eat too many nice things and not enough hay .
nice things being anything thats not hay ie mix and greens.
if you cut back on everything else it should stop.
if there is alot of sticky poos i would cut back on things for a day or 2 and if it doesnt get better go to a bun vet.
when we have got a new bun sometimes this happens because they are adjusting to the new levels of each food.
if you have had your buns awhile you might want to do the above and see a vet any way just to be sure.

Ideally you should never see their caecotrophes - the sticky smelly ones that look like a minature bunch of grapes.

If they produce too many and therefore don't eat them then they probably need their pellets reducing, or maybe their treats?

There wasn't "lots" no - but if I'm not meant to see them at all thinking diet the problem...I will reduce the mix and see if that helps.

Thanks!!!

TP;)

Im having nightmares with this at the moment too. These 'little bunches of grapes' are vital for absorbtion of nutrients but my buns are having non of it! I think their food is too rich. At the moment im dancing around with a bag of hay like something out of a disney film:lol: It seems to be working though as Buffy is nibling hey- she may just be humering mr though:lol:

I always feed a good quality high fibre pellet not a mix. Allen and Page Natural pellets are really high in fibre and Science Selective is good too. It might be the mix thats causing the problem :) I feed very little pellets probably an egg cup full twice a day. There is always plenty of hay which is topped up regularly. Hope this helps solve the sticky poops :)

one of our two left sticky poos last night.. stes fault after watching my alvin stealing veg vid he thought it was great to let them steal half a bag of veg last night :roll::roll::roll:

its a hay diet today... they are not impressed :oops:

I always feed a good quality high fibre pellet not a mix. Allen and Page Natural pellets are really high in fibre and Science Selective is good too. It might be the mix thats causing the problem :) I feed very little pellets probably an egg cup full twice a day. There is always plenty of hay which is topped up regularly. Hope this helps solve the sticky poops :)

Yes, I intend changing them to a pellet (as there's 2 I never know who's eaten what!) The only reason I use mix is because that is what they were fed when I got them and (as I've only had them 2 weeks) I didn't want to change too much at once. I certainly think pellets the "way to go".:)

TP;)

If 1 of the bun is shredding fur, then it would explain what's happening. If so, wait a few weeks, things will go back to normal

Back