• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Jab & Rory's Death U/D *Letter from Veterinary Advisor*

Kirsty&Lola

Mama Doe
Rory had what we presume to be his first VHD jab yesterday at 3pm. He was very brave at the vets but seemed a little quiet when we got him home. We kept a close eye on him and let him just sit quietly like he wanted. He ate a couple of pellets and a bit of hay and this morning he was nibbled at a piece of brocolli. But he seems so sore:cry:

Can the jab make a bunny 'ache' like when we have flu??? Is there anything i can do to make him feel better?

He has wee'd behind the sofa which he has never done before. At least i know he has wee'd.

He's just sat very still and hunched up. Could he be in pain??

When Lola had hers she had a very bad reaction i.e. VHD limp and pullling all her fur out. It's not that sort of reaction but he's just not himself at all.

Sorry for the ramble, i haven't explained myself very well

Last edited:
Was it Cylap? Some bunnies have a reaction to it, my Nushka being one. I have just had Daisy & Gabriel done this morning with Lapinject which my vet ordered in especially. Maybe try that next time. Meanwhile just keep an eye and make sure he is eating and pooping. Hope he feels better soon x

It was Lapinject. Lola's bad reaction was to Cylap and she won't be having that again. Rory just keeps shuffling around like he can't get comfy:( I feel so bad for him. He's eaten a little (i put some Brocolli in front of him and Lola stole it:roll:) so i shall be hand feedin him from now on. I know it's just a waiting game but he looks so unhappy:cry:

Marsha was low for a couple of days after her first VHD. I think some bunnies are. just give him his favourites, he'll soon perk up x

One of mine had a "slight" reaction to it earlier this year (Cylap I think). She had the injection at about 10 in the morning and when I put her to bed about 9.30pm she would not take any food at all and was quiet. I panicked as she did not have a reaction last time.

She would only eat hay! The following morning she was right as rain.

I hope Rory is feeling better soon.

Is he eating ok? My Gus was a bit low after his jab, as long as your bun is eating and pooing I would just leave him be and keep an eye on him. Would be worth telling your vet anyway. I think Jacks-Jane gathered lots of peoples stories of vhd reactions and told the manufactures so maybe pm her?

It was Lapinject. Lola's bad reaction was to Cylap and she won't be having that again. Rory just keeps shuffling around like he can't get comfy:( I feel so bad for him. He's eaten a little (i put some Brocolli in front of him and Lola stole it:roll:) so i shall be hand feedin him from now on. I know it's just a waiting game but he looks so unhappy:cry:

From what I know its not common to have a reaction to Lapinject and reading your post again i think that may be a coincidence. It sounds like he may be going into stasis from the description of him being hunched up. I would call you vet for advise. Good luck x

To my knowledge I have never heard of a rabbit having a reaction to Lapinject...thats not to say its impossible but unlikely.

His posture suggests he is in pain, how does his tummy feel?

his tummy feels fine and he is eating just little bits. Hay, brocolli, some pellets and he's had a little bit of water. If he doesn't pick up soon, i'm going to take him back to the vets:(

Try and get him to drink plenty and eat as much hay as possible, try not to panic too much whilst he is eating and drinking.

He seems to be unlucky when it comes to drugs bless him. :(

we are going to the vets at 11:30. I know i'm probably jumping the gun but its better to be safe than sorry. He's just laying really still and showing not a lot of interest in food. He has eaten just not as much as i would like to see. He's also weeing on the kitchen floor, like he hasn't got the energy to get into the litter tray

we are going to the vets at 11:30. I know i'm probably jumping the gun but its better to be safe than sorry. He's just laying really still and showing not a lot of interest in food. He has eaten just not as much as i would like to see. He's also weeing on the kitchen floor, like he hasn't got the energy to get into the litter tray

Good luck x

Better to be safe than sorry. You know your bunny best and if it does not feel right then it is best to get them checked over.

Hope he feels better soon.

Good luck, I suspect they may give him some pain relief and metaclopromide just to be safe.

BTW.... is he straining when he wee's or spotting urine as opposed to having a long one off wee.

Update: I couldn't wait for my appointment because i felt his nose and it was a little bit crusty which worried me a lot so i whisked them both off ASAP. He has had both injections you mentioned Sooz as well as some Fiberplex. We have another appointment in the morning to check the nose situation. We didn't want to overload him with drugs as he doesn't cope well with them in the first place. Next year we have decided to space the jabs out to a month rather than the recommended 2 weeks. The vet thinks that whilst the Lapinject itself may not have caused the reaction, the very fact that he's had a injection 2 weeks after his Myxi might be too much for him:cry: My poor little Rory. We are going to spend the day giving him lots of treats and seeing if we can get him eating.

NB: He doesn't seem to be straining with the wee's but he has done a number of little ones. What does this indicate??

i had 3 weeks between bifs myxi booster and her vhd boster and shes still not right..shes eating since yesterday properly but has had squishy poo overload since having it done and has been very quiet and not scoffing her hay as she norm does...

Mums baby bun was very quiet etc and like bif shes very quiet and unwell looking..shes fine today and yesterday was binkying.

when my first bun had a severe reaction to cylap.the new vet we had then gave her an antiinflammatory with her vaccine booster.

i am glad things are getting sorted..poor bunny. Maybe lapinject may prove easier if done alomgside an antiinflammatory jab next time?

Maybe lapinject may prove easier if done alomgside an antiinflammatory jab next time?

Thanks:D, i think i'll mention that to the vet when he's due again. Rory had a long recovery from the GA for his neuter so we think that his body does not cope well with such things. He's has eaten some carrot and some brocolli so that's an improvement.

NB: He doesn't seem to be straining with the wee's but he has done a number of little ones. What does this indicate??

I wondered if he may have developed a urinary tract infection, some times stress or a lowered immune system can bring it on.

Back