• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New here!

Hello all, I'm new to the site and rabbits. Next week me and my grandpa will be building a rabbit hutch and getting rabbits. What would be a good breed to get and where would be the best place to buy them at? Also what would be a good sized hutch for them? Any info would be great!

Edit: I live in Bakersfield Cali if that will help on where to get them part=-)

Hello :wave: from the UK.

Not sure about where to get rabbits from in your country but you must have rescues out there as well.

Rabbits all have different temperments so its difficult to say which breed specifically. The plus points about getting a rabbit from a rescue is that they will have spent time with the bun's and will know their personalities.

:D

Hello, and welcome to the forum!:wave:

Yes, definately find your local rescue and adopt a rescue bun!:D As far as what breed to get, just go along, look at ALL of the bunnies.....and choose the one that grabs your heart - at least one of them is SURE to!!!:D

Good luck!!!:D

I've checked my local rescues and none of them have any right now. I've checked surrounding areas but my dad nor grandpa will want to drive like that (gas is $3.50+ here) so I'm either going to have to wait and just build the hutch or hope someone on here can help me out!

I'm sure someone else has said rabbit rescues are few and far between in the US so may actually be quite hard to get a rescue bun. Do they have animals adverts in papers? I know in the uk sometimes unwanted animals are advertised in this way.

Hutch wise I believe 6ft in length by 2ft high is recommended but if you posted a seperate thread in rabbit chat you'd probably get more answers. I'm afraid mine are inside so I don't have a hutch.

Good luck building!
:wave: welcome to RU

hi there! :wave:

I think the majority of peeps on here are from the UK so might have trouble advising you where to go. However, check out this website http://www.rabbit.org/ (House Rabbit Society)

this is a US based organisation, and you could contact someone from there who might be able to help you. I have checked on the website and in CA The chapters for HRS are in Richmond, Sacremento and San Diego, all quite far from where you are i think. But they might be able to help you with a really reputable rescue near you?

If i were you i would definatley wait until one was available at a rescue. There are so many lovely bunnies in rescues who need a nice home to go to, you could give one such a nice life, many have been neglected badly in their previous homes and deserve a second chance!

Good luck with your cage and getting a bunny, x :D :wave:

Back