• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Passing mucus?

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Is it possible to re establish the gut bacteria once a rabbit is passing virtually nothing but mucus?

Just wondering as Silver would pass nothing but mucus for hours then some solid matter not long before she passed away

Not sure if this is the sort of mucus you mean . . . but my 'soul bun' Parsnip had enteritis at the age of 10 weeks and was passing pure see through 'jelly' poos for about 24-36 hours before we found a decent vet (this was our first ever need of a rabbit vet). She went on to live a very happy and healthy 7 years.

PS I have heard feeding them the caecal pellets of a healthy rabbit will help re-establish gut flora.

Anyone else know anything about this? I have done it in cases of recovering from statsis - but one never knows whether the rabbit woud have got better anyway.

Not sure if this is the sort of mucus you mean . . . but my 'soul bun' Parsnip had enteritis at the age of 10 weeks and was passing pure see through 'jelly' poos for about 24-36 hours before we found a decent vet (this was our first ever need of a rabbit vet). She went on to live a very happy and healthy 7 years.

Thats exactly what I mean, won't post a photo though ;)

I've heard of feeding a healthy buns cecals but I've no chance of getting any ones of mines cecals :?

how long has it been going on hun? What has the vet advised?

im so sorry youre having such a real rough time of it again with your beloved bunnies...you know where i am..xxx

Bifs got her usual overload of cecals but with her stress levels i dont know if theyd be classed as healthy...plus the whiff of hers on the bus might get a few comments!:oops:

Mucus indicates an infection of the GI tract usually related to either an infection or a period of time where the gut has not been functioning efficiently.

It is also a sign of mucoid enteritis but this mainly affects young weanling kits and junior rabbits, in which it is often fatal.

The prognosis in an adult rabbit is not so bleak but the underlying cause must be established. The vet will often take a stool sample to test but in some cases they start onto abx and/or straight away dependant on symptoms.

Probiotics, particularly Fiberplex, would be a good starting point for helping to stabilise the gut.

I suspect a PH balancer such as Zantac or Tagamet would also be helpful.

In adult Rabbits passing mucus can *sometimes* be the result of inflammatory bowel disease. If no pathogens are found in faecal samples and the Bun is not responding to probiotics/prebiotics/dietary manipulation then a drug called SALAZOPYRIN can be tried. Like so many meds it is not licenced for Rabbits so the treating Vet would need to agree to prescribe 'off licence'

Janex

In adult Rabbits passing mucus can *sometimes* be the result of inflammatory bowel disease. If no pathogens are found in faecal samples and the Bun is not responding to probiotics/prebiotics/dietary manipulation then a drug called SALAZOPYRIN can be tried. Like so many meds it is not licenced for Rabbits so the treating Vet would need to agree to prescribe 'off licence'

Janex

What does this drug do Jane?

Back