• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescue buns????

sue 1974

Alpha Buck
hi i am picking up 2 male rabbits tomorrow that have been kept in small cages in side, they are seperate. i am getting them castrated and then will rehome them. The problem is i was going to keep them in the conservatory but then realised i have a female foster rabbit loose in there at night and the males would be able to smell her, so that's not really practical.

Do you think they would be okay in the garage overnight if i cover them with tarpaulin? i was going to put them in hutches in the garden during the day unless the tempature dips badly

hope that all makes sense:roll:

What about putting them on a table in the conservatory?
If not then you could put tarpaulin and blankets over them?:D

yeah i had thought of putting them on the table but would they be able to smell the female bun running around under them. would they get very frustrated not being able to get to her

Keeping them in the conservatory shouldn't be a problem as long as none of the rabbits can bite each other through the bars. :D

The boys will probably spray though, so be prepared for yellow walls. :shock:

If they are indoors at the moment to be honest I wouldn't entertain putting them outside even during the day as it is still very chilly and they won't have nice warm fur coats yet. I do agree that it's best to keep them away from the female - is there anywhere else (e.g. bathroom) you could put her at night so they could stay in there all the time? How warm is your garage, compared to the conservatory? You may need to include snugglesafes etc for them if there really is nowhere else for them to go but I don't really think it's ideal at this time of year.

Also, if they've been used to small cages, please remember to acclimatise them to exercise very slowly, as they will have low bone density and could very easily injure themselves if they jump and run before their bones and muscle tone have improved.

Edit: Any idea how old any of these three are, if they are still youngsters they will probably all be ok in the conservatory together (separated obviously), as long as you can be certain they can't bite each other or escape and get the female pregnant! If they are older they are likely to get very frustrated though, so it may depend on how quickly you could get them neutered.

Last edited:
If they are indoors at the moment to be honest I wouldn't entertain putting them outside even during the day as it is still very chilly and they won't have nice warm fur coats yet. I do agree that it's best to keep them away from the female - is there anywhere else (e.g. bathroom) you could put her at night so they could stay in there all the time? How warm is your garage, compared to the conservatory? You may need to include snugglesafes etc for them if there really is nowhere else for them to go but I don't really think it's ideal at this time of year.

Also, if they've been used to small cages, please remember to acclimatise them to exercise very slowly, as they will have low bone density and could very easily injure themselves if they jump and run before their bones and muscle tone have improved.

Edit: Any idea how old any of these three are, if they are still youngsters they will probably all be ok in the conservatory together (separated obviously), as long as you can be certain they can't bite each other or escape and get the female pregnant! If they are older they are likely to get very frustrated though, so it may depend on how quickly you could get them neutered.

they are 7 months and a year. the female foster bun has been neutered so pregnancy isn't a problem. hadn't thought about doing the exercise slowly for them. thanks for that. bit concerened about them spraying as hubby will not be too pleased, nor will the kids come to thnk of it!:roll: will give my hubby a couble of beers and see what he thinks.

one of the buns has got a male guinea pig in with him as well so i will saperate them straight away.

Back