• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problem with litter trays now!!! need solution

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Bunnies are driving me crazy, they seem to have become unlitter trained since moving homes. I dont know what to do.

Both sets of buns choose to wee in the bedroom compartment of their hutches which is fair enough. But as well as pooing and weeing in their litter tray, they are weeing over the top.... and in the corners where the litter trays arent.

I think i am going to remove the bedroom compartment just so there are less corners for them to wee in.

I have even put vet bed down and then put the litter tray on top, but they have weed all over the edge of the vet bed and it now has to be washed. I am at a loss what to do with these buns, and their weeing habits. They have soaked the hutch with wee.

Can someone reccommend a solution to another problem i am having?
Litter tray reccommendations?

is your hutch big enough to put a covered cat litter tray? you could then remove the sleeping comparment and the would still have somewhere to snuggle if they really wanted. Take off the flap if they don't like it.

Other than that, no idea, except to maybe water proof the sleeping compartment with vinal and turn it into a litter tray.

Roxy used to love weeing on the vet bed :rolleyes: Sorry I don't really know apart from taking the bedroom compartment out seems like a good idea, atleast you'll be able to clean a covered cat litter tree...silly bunnies.

I remove the sleeping part divider from all the hutches and use a pet carrier in the area instead.Then if it's used as a litter tray it's easy to remove the whole thing and clean it.:)

I am having trouble with this at the moment but it is completely my own fault because i have moved their trays around :oops: They keep pee'ing where the trays used to be, but they only do it at night and use the trays fine in the day :? I'm going to keep persevere though because they have so much more space now, although they don't seem impressed :lol:

And mine have started pee'ing on their vetbed, and chewing it to bits too :roll:, it says on the back of it 'chew resistent'.......erm, yeh right! :roll::lol:

Hope you can sort something soon .x

Bunnies are driving me crazy, they seem to have become unlitter trained since moving homes. I dont know what to do.

Both sets of buns choose to wee in the bedroom compartment of their hutches which is fair enough. But as well as pooing and weeing in their litter tray, they are weeing over the top.... and in the corners where the litter trays arent.

I think i am going to remove the bedroom compartment just so there are less corners for them to wee in.

I have even put vet bed down and then put the litter tray on top, but they have weed all over the edge of the vet bed and it now has to be washed. I am at a loss what to do with these buns, and their weeing habits. They have soaked the hutch with wee.

Can someone reccommend a solution to another problem i am having?
Litter tray reccommendations?

hi try the corner litter trays there smaller and easy to get out and clean:)

I've found that one of those £2.99 clear plastic storage boxes from Wilkos are just the right size for the bedroom compartment of my 6ft x 2 ft hutch.

I'm not sure if they'd fit in a Happy Hutch though. :?

How high are your litter trays? I have some storage boxes as litter trays, the are a bit higher than the normal trays you get for cats or bunnies. I used to put corner trays in the hutch, but they are too small. Wilkinsons have nice big underbed storage boxes for 4 Pounds. They come with a separate lid, which keeps the litter and hay dry, if you have to carry the box through pouring rain and wind.
Do your bunnies wee into corners where there is neither vetbed nor hay? My trio does not like to have hay all over the hutch, so I just put straw and hay in the litter box and the rest of the hutch has just wooden floor, food bowls and toys. They never wee on the wood. And it's the same thing downstairs in their run. Hay is in the litter box only, and they only wee there.

I've found that one of those £2.99 clear plastic storage boxes from Wilkos are just the right size for the bedroom compartment of my 6ft x 2 ft hutch.

I'm not sure if they'd fit in a Happy Hutch though. :?

Snap! :lol: I got the bigger size from Wilkos. But for the bedroom compartment in my Happy Hutch I have clear plastic storage boxes that I bought on ebay. They fit nicely, and also came with lids.

Have they moved into a brand new hutch or do you know if there was there another rabbit in there before?

My bun used to wee everywhere in her hutch (which I think may have had another rabbit in) until we bought her a brand new one, since which time she has never weed or pooed anywhere other than in her litter tray, so we think another bun may have lived in there before and she was marking her territory so to speak!

I was thinking about Wilkinson, so i will have a look tomorrow, could you post a pic from google images or something that looks very similar.

I am also definately removing the bedroom compartment as its just a giant litter tray to them at the moment.

They like to wee into corners, doesnt matter if theres vet bed there, hay or nothing... they will wee there.

I thought about the corner litter trays, but i need to cover about three corners with them :lol:

The Benjamin and Opal are the worst though!

My litter trays are not very high at the moment, hence them weeing over the edges. I did have a good litter tray from Ikea which fit snugly and had high sides, but it was a bit worse for wear so i chucked it!

Its a brand new hutch and no bunny has lived in it before, so maybe they are marking their territory.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

This is the one I use:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0225804

It was on special offer at my local Wilkos recently.

Same size as mine, but 1 pence cheaper, because it isn't blue. :p:lol: They are really nice, and sometimes Snoopy, Penny and Luna all manage to sit in there at the same time. Usually Snoopy and Penny sit in the box, eating hay, when Luna runs up to them, "flies" into the box, lands on top of them and squeezes herself in then. :rolleyes:

I have taken the bedroom compartment out as they never sleep on it and put their litter tray in it. I also have a litter tray within a box, so I don't get overspray. It's a normal litter tray put in a cheapo plastic box which my hubby has cut the front out of. There are no more accidents at all now.

Mine will poo in the normal tray and wee in the corner over the tray into the box!!

here's a pic if this helps
Littlertrays004.jpg

Also I wiped any wee areas with antibacterial wipes when they didn't do it in their litter tray so they didn't associate that with their toilet area .

Did you say they had hay in that part hun? (Sorry, read the thread y/day & didnt reply then for some reason) When one of mine looses litter training (Rhia just has done these past few days, Hmm!) I totally take everything out of the hutch, wipe it with white vinegar & just give them either newspaper or no bedding (Hay in racks etc) until she re-learns to go in the litter tray. Im not sure why this helps, but its always worked for me. Its a nightmare isnt it, Good luck! X

Back