• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive Bunny - any suggestions welcome

sarahslc

Warren Scout
We have had Ruby for just under a year. We sort of rescued her, as the day we got her we thought we were going to pick up just a hutch and a run but when we got there we found it came complete with bunny! We couldn't leave her as it was quite apparant that she wasn't being cared for well enough so we took her on with the view that we would rehome her, but I'm too much of a soft touch and fell in love with her! But she is a fiesty little devil, I've never met a bun like her!!! Clearly she was not handled much and we have tried to tackle that over the last year without much success, I'm dreading taking her to the vets for her booster next month as last time she was so bad at being handled the vet had to 'armpit' her! We are planning on getting her spayed asap and I was just wondering if anyone has had a bad tempered bun who was transformed after being fixed? Don't get me wrong we love her to bits and her fiesty nature is part of her appeal, we would never consider rehoming her now. So any advice or your own experiences would be welcome. Thanks.

I think if you had her spayed then you will see an improvement.I had a grumpy bun who didnt like me touching her food bowl,i only touched it when she was in the run,hand feeding over several months will help,with nice veggies etc,and maybe a neutered male companion may help,good luck,definately get her spayed though :D

My Poppy was a very grrowly grumpy bunny before she was spayed, first thing she did when I met her at the rescue was bite me :roll: I said I would have her as I thought no one else would! The rescue has her spayed, and bonded her with Gus, after a few weeks her personality changed completely! She is now the sweetest bun ever..I am so glad i took a chance on her :D

I had a really nasty doe called Daisy-May who became a total sweetie after being spayed at 5 years old. :D

I've found that some aggressive does really don't respond well to people being hesitant and wafting their hands about in front of their (the rabbit's) face.

It's much better to get thick gloves on and start by stroking the rabbit with a stick. Small clockwise circlular strokes are the best for winning over a nervous rabbit. Once the rabbit is accepting that, then you can start stroking her with your hands (gloves on of course).

Does she growl, bite, box...or all three?

Amy

She's a biter and a growler! has boxed me but just the once - I think she was having a false pregnancy then and obviously didn't appreciate me feeding her:rolleyes:

Is it territorial?...i.e. does she calm down outside her hutch/territory?

Territorial aggression will almost certainly improve with spaying.

Fear aggression will be harder to solve.

Don't think its territorial as she is just as bad when out in her run or in the house, could be fear but I would have hoped that that would have subsided somewhat over the last year as we have tried so hard with handling her, reassuring her etc?

Back