• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infected Rabbit Bite

mystic.kitty

Mama Doe
We're having terrible trouble with a rabbit bite on Fishcake. We've seen the vets about it and his advice was to clean it everyday to stop a scab forming and therefore stop it going infected.

So we're cleaning it twice a day, as advised with plain water, but the scab still forms and there is some white pus under the scab.

We're getting the pus out whenever it appears and are even putting on some antiseptic powders onto it to help, which I think is a little.

Is there anything more we can do to stop the infection from returning? Can I use anthing else which is a stronger antiseptic to keep the wound clean? Or clean it with anything else?

Anyhelp greatly appreciated. :)

i'm not sure what else extra you can do but my main advice is to carry on keeping it as clean as poss!

My bun Mike got bitten by anither bun in his front leg when he was in his previous home. I got him a week ago today and the day after i brought him home he started limping on his front leg. Obv i took him to the vet and we found that the bite (that i had no idea existed) has gone massively infected and he has a massive swollen lump on his leg, it is black and blue and the vet tells me that this black area will scab over and fall off leaving a big open wound.
So like i said, definately carry on what you are doing to prevent what has happened to poor Mike's bite wound!:(

Hope your bun's leg is feeling better really soon :) x

If there is pus forming, the infection is already there. Perhaps he should be on antibiotics. I've give the vet a call and ask his opinion again.

Surely stopping scab formation (and thus keeping the wound open) will mean infection can get in; whereas if a scab formed it would be a barrier to the outside world...and more importantly infection...:?

The reason the vet wants the wound kept open is to prevent an abcess from forming beneath the scab ;)

Your rabbit should however have been put on an antibiotic as a precaution. If he has not then I would request some now.

That makes sense :thumb:

If its a deep bite then the teeth would have driven bacteria into the tissue, you need access to it to disinfect and kill it off, so a scab would trap bacteria in just as much as it keeps bacteria out.

Its the same reason lanced abcesses should not be closed and need flushing daily.

Thanks for your help, at least I know I'm doing my best for Fishcake. Its a bite he got in the pet shop, I'm sure of that, as him and Haggis get along very well and never ever fight, so it must've been the other bun in with them.

If I'm still struggling with it I think we'll go back to the vets and see if they can give some stronger antiseptics or something.

It might be antibiotics he needs, not antiseptics. I'd get him seen today rather than risk waiting another 3 days till monday or, if the infection really takes hold, risk needing an emergency appointment over the weekend.

Back