• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will anyone be rearguarding this year?

To rearguard or to not rearguard

• Total voters

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Im not sure whether to or not just because of the chemical aspects involved with rearguarding buns. I did last year as i thought the benjamin had eggs in his bum, turned out it was worms (therefore he also ended up having a 28day course of panacur too).

So i just wondered if anyone else is going to rearguard this year, if they had on tips and advice on how to apply it, where to buy it cheapest etc....

if you are not, please state why and if you can come up with any alternatives to keep flies away.

I am doing daily bum checks again because i have noticed flies about.

Hey

I won't be and have never used it. I'm a bit funny about all the chemicals too so just do daily bum checks instead.

Lian x

Nope not me, im in the non chems camp :D
I check bums twice a day instead and make sure they never get overweight or sticky bums (I know thats not always possible for others buns though!)!

I did mine last year, I didn't realise it had so many chemicals in it. I've voted yes but think I might just put netting up, plant some fly dettering plants and do regular bun checks instead. Altho the flies are already out, there were loads around last night :(

I use the fly-free weekly spray, they are both cleaned out and I can put netting on the hutch but not whilst they are out. Is that as bad as rearguard?

I don't have a problem with flies... at all. I've only ever seen about 5 in our garage, anyway. As long as they have lovely clean bums i'm happy!!!

Yeah i get paranoid when i do bum checks, and bits of megazorb fool me into thinking i have seen something.

I am swaying towards not rearguarding them.... none of them are overweight, although Polo and Opal are quite fluffy, and none of them have ever had a sticky bum.

I live right by a canal and last year the flies were hiding out under the lip on the wall, I don't know if someone was leaving bins out on another roof terrace that was attracting them but there were quite a few of the horrible little things.

I was going to use Rearguard just in case. The though of maggots eating my rabbits frightens the life out of me!

I hadn't thought about the chemicals though :?

I voted no. I do get the odd fly in the bun room, but I get the odd spider too:evil::lol: I change litter trays daily & as buns are loose & not overweight etc, I don't expect a problem:D

Nope wont be doing that, never have...just keep an eye on it. Although Misty wont be out this year so it wont be quite as bad. Netting for the front of hutch is a brill idea!!!

Nope, won't be using it, only ever did once as a precaution when we had an overweight foster bun! Just do regular bum checks and keep their houses nice and clean.

I have some fly free I'll probably use and Citronella/Tea Tree.... to be honest not really for keeping flies away, but for repelling mozzies and fleas... I'm more worried about Myxi than flystrike. :)

I will only be doing rabbits I term as 'at risk'. Last year I did the lot, rescues included.

Im trying to be a bit more rational with it this year.

I wont be using it. I dont have any Rabbits for whom I consider it to be necessary ( ie suffering from incontinence/mucky bum etc) *Personally* I dont like using lots of chemicals on my Buns and prefer to rely on stringent cleanliness of accomodation/fly-strips and netting and several bum checks a day.

Janex :)

I voted yes because my vet recommended it - even for my house bunnies who have NEVER had dirty bums... so is it not necessary...??:?

Back