• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Family - Rant

happybunny

Mama Doe
I am sorry but I really need to rant.

Yesterday my mum told my sister that one of our rabbits (Benjamin) had recently had an operation and with after care it had cost over £200. She explained that has we had rehomed the rabbit from the vets (they had been asked to PTS due to fighting with his brother) they had agreed to cover half the cost.

My sister said that £100 was still a lot for a rabbit.

I said, thats the resposibility you take on when you have animals.

My mum then said, no its the responsibility you take on whne you have too many animals like me.

I tried to explain that in most cases its the same furry that keeps gpoing to the vets, so if I had less I would probably still have the same vets bills!

My sister said but what if you don't have the money.

I replied you should not have animals if you can't find the money and that I hate it when people say they would pay it for a dog / cat but not a smaller animal.

My mum then said well you get more from a dog, like companionship and love. You don't get that from a rabbit in a hutch.

I was sooooooooooo mad! I wanted to kick them out of the car (I was driving!). I though my mum understood (if not the numbers I have, but at least the duty of cared ect).

I have thought about that!

The silly thing is my mum is always buying things for the bunnies and guinea pigs (they even get money at Christmas) and she often tries to give me money to help with vets bills.

It was like talking to a different person.

we have had this arguement with both sides of the family...
they think its ok to get a free council house and get pregnant all the time whilst having no money but we have tooo many pets....
we both work and i never get handouts from anyone when pets are sick.
my mum says we would have alot more money if we didnt have them.
yes but thats like her giving up her children. (to me any way)
we dont smoke , drink go out in the evenings ,take drugs etc they are my life.

It sounds like you have a very caring Mum who loves you and the rabbits :D

I have a similar situation with my Mum. She likes animals, but thinks I have too many pets.

I don't accept money from her for the rabbits, but I do accept veggies and stuff like that...it makes her feel wanted :lol:

Amy

Back