• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing behaviour

I have had Flopsy (lionhead) since he was 9 weeks old (last April). He never liked being picked up even at that age - though I did try to coax him round and spent lots of time with him - he was never going to be a cuddly rabbit who could be held but he did love nose rubs and stroking. I accepted that he wouldn't never be handled even after months of trying.

I have since got Jem (1 year old lop) from (bunnymadhouse) in December.

Flopsy now seems much happier now Jem is around and they have bonded (due to Angie and Tracey) amazingly and love each other very much.

Jem was nervous when she first came (which is understandable after what she went through before Angie got her) but has come on leaps and bounds and is a very loving bun.

I am now finding their behaviour opposite to what it was when I first got them. Flopsy now won't come anywhere near me even for a noserub/groom - even when food is about whereas Jem has become a lot more laid back - loves being stroked/groomed and will jump on your hand and head when it is feeding time (must be her love of food - angie did warn me).

I am just wanting any help/tips on how to get back in favour (so to speak) with Flopsy as he is the lionhead who really needs grooming.

Jem is moulting loads but is happy for me to brush/stroke/groom her as long as food is there. Flopsy just does a runner.

Its as if he no longer needs me cos he has Jem (which I can understand) but I really need to groom/brush him.

They are in a 2 storey hutch - do I need to cut off bottom half and corner him (he gets stressed very easily) or just hope Jem will do her job and groom him.

I did manage to get a quick groom tonight (with a grooming mit from Poundstretcher) and he isn't tangled but he is moulting ( along with Jem) lots and I don't want them to digest fur.

Any help?

I have the exact same thing with Scarlett :roll: She doesnt want me grooming her but Trip cant get all the hay out of her because she is soooo fluffy :lol:

I got a book on rabbit massage and since starting that with my lot I find the easiest way to do it is to wait until she is all sleepy and relaxed after a massage and pick out the bits of hay and check for any tangles or knots in her fur x

Ohh what tips have you picked up on rabbit massage - I deffo need them for Flopsy - he has gone from moderately friendly(loved nose rubs and strokes though wouldn't be picked up) to being totally against any contact at all - even with bribery of food. Only since Jem came to live with him.:shock:

Bought a £1 grooming glove today which Jem loves but Flopsy only tollerated for 2 mins max even when food is about. Then he legged it down the hutch and outside.:lol::lol:

I am in total defeat at the moment.:cry:

Flopsy won't be picked up and I don't want to stress him out by trying to capture him in a blanket. He kicks like a mule even with a blanket on (ask bunnymadhouse's sister Tracey as to how much he likes being picked up)

He is not desperate as to where he is knotted or anything but I would just like to make sure is is knot free and has a smooth coat.

Obstinate bunny - must be a man - sorry to all men.:lol:

Sorry to re-iterate former thread but I am desperate.

Last edited:
oooh that is a bit of a problem - I think I would be inclined to take him to the vets and ask them to give him a trim - my animals are usually very subdued at the vets due to fear, but it means you can get his coat manageable. I keep all my long haired piggies with short hair - it's not so pretty maybe but it means I only have to groom them every 8 weeks, so they don't have that hatred of being handled which they often have if they need daily grooming.

hmmm ...strange ...silly boy :rolleyes:

i would be tempted to shoo jem out ....block off the level so he cant escape and try and groom him while still in the hutch ...that way you wont have to pick him up . put your hand over his head and gently but firmly "try" to keep him still . :rolleyes:

i wouldnt worry too much ...but i would have a go at this at least while hes moulting ....once a week or maybe even 2 weeks might be enough just to keep him tidy :roll:

good luck :rolleyes::lol:

Back