• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is a rabbit the right animal for me?

GentleMelody

New Kit
Hello there, nice to meet you, my name is Claire, and i'm 22.

:bunny::bunny:
heres alittle about me.

I have serve heart problems which means i'm unable to work, so I have lots of time to care for my animal.

I adore rabbits, I owned one when I was very young, very very young don't remember much of it as I was really small. :)

I think i'd love to get another, but I need to hear it first hand from rabbit owners.

I'd keep the rabbit indoors and make my own custom cage, i'd look into the specifcations and sizes needed.

it would most definatley be a dwarf rabbit being smaller, :):wave:

:wave: Hi Claire

Is that your cat there? What a stunner :love:

I have four bunnies and think they are the best pets in the world :lol: They are just as friendly and smart as cats and dogs :) I think the best thing to do is call your local rescue center and have a chat with them, they willl be able to give loads of advice and you can go along to meet the bunnies :)

There is loads of advice on here about feeding, vet visits, housing and caring for rabbits :) x

Hi Claire!!:wave:

Your post has made me have a number of suspicions:

1) I suspect that you have the time and desire to research rabbit keeping before you get one.

2) I suspect that you will read and learn from your research as you've made the first move in joining RU.

3) I suspect (because you have the desire and will to learn) that you will make a lucky bun very happy.

You say that you "need hear it first hand from rabbit owners" - no reason in the world that I can see against you making a darn fine rabbit owner providing you have the room and spare cash (for vet fees) to go with the time you're prepared to give.:)

GOOD LUCK!!!

TP;)

Thank you for your replies! :)

I love to know everything and anything there is too know about an animal before taking on any animal :)

I've had guinea pigs in the past too, they were a joy to have around.

it's been many years since they past. And I've always adored dwarf bunnies, But i'd love to know everything there is too know before i'd say for sure i'd fit the bill in being a good rabbit mum! :)

I've never bought petshop cages always made my own, my pigs had 6ft long cages. :lol:

I'm going too have a browse around, I love making my own cages from things, And I wonder just what there is out their people have used. :) :wave:

Just one thing can I sneak in here, my choice of food would be Excel rabbit, I swore by it for my G pigs, guinea pig excel they were bright as button, is Excel rabbit, a good food?

thank you so much xx x x x x x x EVERYONE! :D

Hi:wave:

I was like you and my first bunny was a very long time ago (from a breeder) when I knew little about rabbits.

I cared for it to the best of my knowledge at the time and he was neutered, registered at the vets and had his injections but he did pass away at an early age - just over a year old. He had lots of problems with his eyes/tear ducts and teeth - he was a lop. I did everything I could but it did put me off for a while.:cry: I missed him sooooo much. I always felt I had done something wrong.:cry:

Sorry I don't mean to put you off but I am now (9 years on) a very happy and grateful owner of 2 bunnies.:D:D

Something I didn't know about (having 2) - bought my first from a pet shop (before I knew about rescues) and then adopted my second (with bonding from the rescue) and have 2 very happy bunnies.

They are outside in a 2 storey hutch with a permanent 7 foot run and I am very happy I once again decided to have my buns.

I work 5 days a week (part time) and have a son but still have plenty of time for my buns.

I am not rich by any means but have the funds for if they ever (fingers crossed they don't) get poorly.

They bring such joy to my life and I don't regret if for a minute - can't imagine life without them.

By the sounds of it you would be a very good bunny mum.:D

My buns are on Excel - I have a lionhead and a lop.

Don't forget all the hay you will need:lol:

Last edited:
Hi there!

For making your own cage I'd advise NIC grids, they are available from B&Q and make great cages, you can see mine here. They are very versatile and you can design them in whatever way you want/need to fit your space. Having indoor rabbits in wonderful, btw. They are the best little pets! :D

I feed my girlies Excel, they thrive on it, though Hay is of course much more important in the diet, as are fresh veggies, and bunnies should only get a small amount of pellets daily. There are several other good feeds available, such as Oxbow (probably the best, but I can't get a hold of it, and it's very expensive), Allen & Page, and Science Selective. :)

I hope you do decide to get a rabbit (or two, they are very happy in pairs, a neutered male and spayed female making the best pair) be sure to do plenty of research, and people here will be more than happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Hi and welcome. Excel was reccomended to me by my vet and I have been feeding the lite stuff without any problems (to prevent obesity) for about 6 years now. I'd definatly go to a rescue and have a good chat with them about what you need to know and also what you're looking for in a rabbit. I'm sure you'll find the perfect wee bunnie though. Good luck and keep us updated.

Thank you for your replies! :)

I love to know everything and anything there is too know about an animal before taking on any animal :)

I've had guinea pigs in the past too, they were a joy to have around.

it's been many years since they past. And I've always adored dwarf bunnies, But i'd love to know everything there is too know before i'd say for sure i'd fit the bill in being a good rabbit mum! :)

I've never bought petshop cages always made my own, my pigs had 6ft long cages. :lol:

I'm going too have a browse around, I love making my own cages from things, And I wonder just what there is out their people have used. :) :wave:

Just one thing can I sneak in here, my choice of food would be Excel rabbit, I swore by it for my G pigs, guinea pig excel they were bright as button, is Excel rabbit, a good food?

thank you so much xx x x x x x x EVERYONE! :D

What lots of people do for indoor bunnies is buy a large dog crate as a base and make an enclosure round it :) There are some brilliant indoor set ups on here x

You sound very responsible and eager to learn... this probably makes up 80% of good animal ownership - the rest experience and luck! ;) :lol:

Excel is a good food, however some bunnies are prone to have sticky poos with it. Mine was on Excel Junior but had excess cecotrophes (the soft poss they reingest :rolleyes: ) so I moved him to Excel light which has less protein and more fibre. When I adopted his wifey bun I switched to Science Selective which they both love. SS is slightly higher in fiber than Excel and the higher the better.

Making your own accommodation is a great idea - your piggies sound as though they were very spoilt :D

My indoor buns have a 140cm Ferplast cage and NIC grid run set up:

2348728572_4335e55688.jpg

2347899483_5200dd095a.jpg

I hope that offers some inspiration. Good luck with your search for a bun (or preferably a bonded pair) ;) :D

I use supa guinea excel for my piggies - it is a great food for pigs... however, there are other pellets for rabbits that are slightly better, nutritionally speaking... I use Allen and Page natural rabbit pellets (these are stocked by horsey places, as Allen and Page usually do horse food) and Science Selective (which are much easier to get hold of than A&P)
Allen and Page is also loads cheaper - around £7 for a 20kg sack! :shock:

Welcome to the forum:D It sounds as though whatever bun /s come to live with you will be very lucky. Have you had a search through the Rabbit Rehome site(link at the bottom right hand of this page..apologies if you've already found it, but I was a member here for almost 3 months before I realised it was there:roll:)? You may be able to find a bonded pair which will be suitable for what you can offer. The beauty of getting them through a reputable rescue is that the buns will already be neutered and vaccinated, and you'll be given info about their personalities etc. Good luck in your search and don't forget to keep us updated with progress!!:D:D

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes! :wave::bunny::love:

I smiled when I saw the rabbit setup, Thats EXACTLEY what I made for my guinea pigs from a site named C&C cages cubes and coroplast, excellent stuff! thats what i'd use!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

It's airy, you can make lots of space even your own hayracks, I've done some research into the cubes, theres some on ebay, couldn't find any on B&Q site :(

I took on board about the food and types jotted them down to have a look around at those foods. :)

And also few more questions if that's alright.

I'd like to use carefreash bedding, would that be suitable? I always found it less dusty for the animal and more pleasent on there feet.

Also, Timothy hay? my pigs wouldn't settle for less! ;) would that be okay? i'm always nervous about brands of things, if it's coming from a good source.

oh yes that was the other thing :) would a 4 by 6 cubes be enough space for a dwarf rabbit? one or two not sure yet, i'd be talking to the adoption centres around here firstly, but not jumping the gun yet, i'd have to have cages set up, food, and all those important things first :)

And also few more questions if that's alright.

I'd like to use carefreash bedding, would that be suitable? I always found it less dusty for the animal and more pleasent on there feet.

Also, Timothy hay? my pigs wouldn't settle for less! ;) would that be okay? i'm always nervous about brands of things, if it's coming from a good source.

oh yes that was the other thing :) would a 4 by 6 cubes be enough space for a dwarf rabbit? one or two not sure yet, i'd be talking to the adoption centres around here firstly, but not jumping the gun yet, i'd have to have cages set up, food, and all those important things first :)

Lots of people use carefresh bedding for rabbits. I use magazorb as it's a lot cheaper (about £5.50 for 80ish Litres), but does have an "aroma" which may put you off (mine are outside so it doens't matter).

Rabbits love Timothy Hay, I've bought it from Oxbow before, but I feed mainly meadow hay which also goes down a treat. Once you get your bunnies you'll be able to try the many different types that there are and see what they like the best.

Not sure on the size of cubes, sorry, would be good to work with the guidelines set up the rescue.

I would certainly advise getting two little furries - they are hight social animals and like to be in the company of the own kind. I had two single rabbits for years and have just bonded (well somebody did it for me) a new little girl to my male (both spayed and neuterued of course), and to see them together is wonderful! They still hop up to see me, so it's not like I get ignored.

Good luck with your research.

Hannah

Hi!

Sounds like any rabbits in your place will be in good hands!

If you can get two I'd definately recommend it. There's nothing like seeing them groom each other, or nuzzle their heads together to hide when they go to the vets!

Yes 4x6 will definitely be big enough (one grid is 14 inches), just remember you have to go at least 2 grids high, as even a dwarf rabbit won't be able to stand up on back legs if the cage is only one grid high. :)

The grids aren't on the B&Q website, but they are in the stores, usually just the bigger branches but the smaller ones can order them in, the Product Number is 5015772198409, and the make is Slemka.

Yes carefresh is a good bedding, but you only need it in their litter tray, rabbits litter train very easily in my experience, you could also use a non-clumping cat litter, that's what I use. The rest of the cage can just be left without bedding, inside, there's not need for it over the whole floor. I have my wooden floor of my room as the bottom level, and fleece on the upper levels, as well as a cosy bed in the cage.

And Timothy hay is great for bunnies, they will love it!

couldn't find any on B&Q site :(

If you call your local one and ask for Selmka storage cubes they should be able to to help, or order them in - i think that's what they are called, I have not got them from B&Q but other people on here have.

EDIT: Just seen that Michaela has kindly posted the product code :D

I use megazorb and although at first I noticed it had a slight aroma, I don't smell it anymore - it's also very economical.

Timothy hay is excellent, I feed this along side brome hay and dried grass to add a bit of variety :)

If you have a 5x4 panel run - think that works out at approx 150x120cm or 20 square feet - sounds ideal to me :D

i think the only downside to bunnies is how delicate they are.. ive only been a bunny mom since August so havent personally felt the loss, i think if id have been a mamber of this site first id have not actually got a rabbit just because they seem to die so easily...but now i have them what ever heartache they may bring i dont think ill ever be bunnyless.

if you prepare your heart for a possible loss thro no fault of your own then yup i agree with everyone else.. youll make an excellent bunny mom :) :)

Thanks so much for more wonderful advice. :)

Thanks as well for product number for cubes and a link wow!

I LOVE THIS FORUM!

it's so wonderful and helpful and really helping my along my way. :p :)

i've been measuring my room up :lol: I've thought if I moved my desk I could fit more cube space in. ;)

I've seen so many wonderful rabbits on that rabbit rehome link, theres so many I simply adored and fell in love with. :)

I mailed a few of the centres and explained about building cages and such and that'd at some point i'd be interested in homing a bun, or bonded buns! :lol:

Yes i've put bonded buns into equation I think it's important I do, If I have the right amount of space/time/money, all those things, then housing two also helping a cause, not too mention giving me tons of joy to see them snuggled up! :)

Are there any types of rabbit that are more skittish than others?

I've wondered this seeing how some buns sit and curl up yet some seem nervous, is it down too indiivdual characters more so? :)

Thanks again so much, I adore this forum, :wave:

xxxxxxxxx

Back