• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Buffy bunny is not well!

Stephanie Cutler

Warren Scout
Buffy is a very fat bunny that eats anything that stays still. we noticed Buff didnt want a piece of cabbage and it realy looks like she is in pain!
Her eyes are half closed and her tummy is moving in and out :( We have given her about 1 ml of metochlopromide, 4mls of metacam and 4 mls of straight pinapple juice. (the problem here is that she is too heavy for our kitchen scales and the bathroom ones dntg work - so she will be under dosed) Yesturday i thaught i saw her her cough/gag - just once so i baught a pinapple incase of hair balls.

Does this sound like bloat guys? should she have some probiotic incase?
Any advice guys or is it out of hours vet time?

Her tummy is hard :(

Where did you get the POMs from if she hasn't seen the vet? Have you spoken to them at all?

Did you give all that Metaclopromide in one go or has it been spaced out over a period of time? How long has she been like this?

Well we are practiced very experienced hoppers here -we are in charge of 30 rescue bunnies our vet gives the sanctuary wht we need in supplies for when this happens - we have taken temperature etc first and she is not allergic to any of these meds - this is what the vet advises first

Was she checked for a blockage before hand? It sounds like she may have an impaction now, especially if her tummy is hard. Dont give her anymore Metaclop.

She needs to see the vet.

This particular area surrounding POMs is a bit grey...

Hiya :)

I assume from the dosage you are giving the meds orally ?
If Buffy is in GI stasis then oral meds wont do much good
If her tum feels hard and she appears to be in pain then it really is *essential* that she is seen by a Vet. If she has bloat she may need her stomach deflating via tube passed into her stomach. Trying to give anything orally to a bloated Rabbit can spell disaster :cry:
I hope that you can contact your Vet now. Good luck and please keep us posted

Janex

hmm was this for bunnies of all sizes? i have two bunnies on 1ml three times a day at the moment - Shuffles the disabled bun and Biba the bun with small poos Im trying to get in touch with our vet now to see what to do next

Right, Buff has just had a poop - look normal - and is nibbling cabbagge. vet has suggested probiotic also. Her tum is not moving anymore and thank goodness - her tum is making gurgling noises! hmm cant see my bunny vet tonite im riniging out of hours for advice.

B
Her eyes are half closed and her tummy is moving in and out :( We have given her about 1 ml of metochlopromide, 4mls of metacam and 4 mls of straight pinapple juice. (

You can't possibly gives your bun 4 ml of metacam. Even for a 5 KG bun, 1.2 cc is the absolute max, 4 ml will definitely kill your bun. Metacam will damage the internal organs w/ such extreme dosage.

The formula for metacam is:

wt. in Kg x 0.1 / 1.5

So if your bun wt. 2 KG, then all you need is 0.13 ml

Update on Buffy and typing correction

Good morning! Yesterday i miss typed the dossage for Metacam. Buffy recieved 0.4 mls of Metacam NOT 4mls- wrote post in a rush. Even though Buffy was eating some cabbage i took her to the outr of hours vet incase the improvement was the metacam perking her up. The vet put her oon the floor on withch she promptly weed ran into a corner and pooped! Everything was moving nicely through her gut again- lots of gurgling- and the vet did not charge which was lovely of her.

When we got home the culprit was staring us in the face in the porch. On the chair is a very large bag of WAGG bunny mix - Buff's fave as she is currently on Excell light. She had eaten her way through the bottom of the sack!

Can't believe we put her at risk like that- didnt know she could get onto the chair!
Could have been lethal!:cry: Very stupid mistake to make.

Buffy says thankyou for your replies- and promises she wont do it again:roll:
(you wont get the chance Buff!)

Anyone know of a weekly weight watchers meeting for Buffy?:p

Thanks again - Steph and the 22 strong fury mob:wave:

Back