• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interest In Rabbits

emily99

New Kit
hi guys,,.,.nice to see a such a you know sopicticated community...well as you know that i am pet lover wait..wait.but how can you know cz i am new here..haha.just chiling...and also do some art work as well like just for my pets like [edit- no advertising] hope you hate it...cz its not very good..nw the puprose of joiing and starting this new thread is ..i need some rabbiots..actually i am going to make a big big cage for them..so wana to know that there is a need of cage or they will easily feel ok in my lawn???and there is need of special care like my cats or dogs??? and whats there feed??i wana this expention just cz they are you know looking so sweet in white color and is there any type of them also???...dn`t hav enough knowledge regarding speacial types...so may be you wil help me

Last edited by a moderator:
im struggling to understand your "text" speak, but i did pick up on you asking if a rabbit would be ok just on a lawn, the answer is nope! they need somewhere to feel safe as they are very vunerable in big open spaces. a hutch also provides shelter and safety from predators such as birds, cats and foxes.

they require injections, and neutering as well as a good diet because they have sensitive tummys. food wise they need lots of good quality hay, some pellets and some fresh veg every single day.

Rabbits are expensive, time consuming and difficult to keep so i would recommend buying a couple of good books and browsing this site for infomation before commiting to any.

Welcome to RU by the way. :wave:

Hello.

I also was struggling to understand your 'text'. Being an oldie I don't use it, just plain old English.

There is so much to learn before you get any rabbits. They are very complicated to look after correctly. They need good sized accommodation meaning a large weatherproof hutch and a large attached run so that they can exercise properly.

You will need to have a pair of bunnies to keep each other company. Rabbits naturally live in colonies and so are very lonely and depressed if not kept with rabbit friends (exception to this is a rabbit that is living indoors as a houserabbit who has human company).

You will need to get them neutered before they can live together (unless you get a pair from a rescue where they will almost certainly have been neutered before you adopt them).

You will need to get the vaccinated. Twice a year for Myxomatosis and once a year for VHD.

You will want to consider pet insurance because a rabbit can become ill very easily and they can be expensive when they are poorly.

You will need to give them unlimited good quality hay and clean them out very often. For example, a full clean out of their hutch and run at least once a week but with more regular cleaning of their litter trays.

You must give a good quality litter, such as Megazorb, or Carefresh, although some peolple find it easier and cheaper to use newspaper.

You will need to check their bottoms, eyes, teeth regularly to ensure that there are no problems.

You will need to feed a good quality purpose made rabbit food such as Science Selective, Excel or another pellet. Some people prefer to offer a rabbit mix but this can allow rabbits to selective feed.

Well, that's just a little to be going on with.

I would recommend having a look at some of the previous threads in the rabbit care section and also have a look at the Rabbit Welfare Assocation website. It may be worthwhile investing in some books, although some of the knowledge in the older books is now not so up to date.

If you do decide to get some bunnies, then I hope you enjoy having them, they are very intelligent, loving and worthwhile animals to care for. One thing to say is that their life expectancy is around 8-12 years so it will be a long commitment.

Helen

Just a thought - where are you based? It may be worthwhile you going to a rescue to have a chat to some of the volunteers to find out more about rabbits and to meet some of the ones in your area needing a home. Someone on here might be able so suggest a rescue near you....

thanks

hey guys thanks for the advices...ok..i will buy a cage for them and hope that i will care of them..and i have money so dn`t bother about the expensiveness

If money is not a concern to you and you feel that you really can devote your time and all of your efforts to the welfare of a pair of rabbits, then please buy the biggest hutch you can afford. To comply with the Animal Welfare Act in the United Kingdom it must be a very minimum of 5ft x 2ft x 2ft although I think that this is too small and would say the minimum should be 6x2x2 with an attached run.

There are lots of good UK suppliers, but I am getting the impression that you are not in the UK, so I think you will just have to check out your local suppliers.

Please, please only take on some rabbits if you can give them everything they need.

This is serious?

Why do you want/need rabbits?

Do you know all thats involved?

These are wonderful living creatures that shouldn't be taken on lightly.

I think The Duchess gave a very good post - I would read that through again Emily99 and then maybe read about the forum/get a good book/do some research to establish if rabbits are for you before you get any.;)

I don't mean to be rude, but if you previously thought they may be okay living on your lawn then I think there are likely to be other things you need "look into" as I'm sure you want the best for any buns you may decide to home.

I think it good that you "hope that you will care for them", that's a super start. If you do some research first though, you will "know" rather than "hope" that you can care for them because you will know all about them and their needs.:)

Rabbits are lovely, rewarding pets but they require lots of care and attention to keep them happy and healthy - I would suggest even more work than a cat or dog to answer your question.

I wish you the very best in your research and decision making - Welcome to RU!

TP:wave:

Well spotted, that explains a lot ;)

I get the distinct impression to be honest that this post has been made by a blogger trying to drum up business for the portraits. I offer sincere apologies if I am wrong.

I also get the feeling that the portraits are painted overseas by a team of painters from photos. I saw very similar work (very well painted/copied) in a town centre 'exhibition'. Nothing wrong with getting your animals portrait painted overseas obviously.

I just hope that if this is a serious post and that you genuinely want to learn about rabbits and their care, that you will learn about them before you decide to go ahead.

Back