• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poor mimi she's completely blind

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
Ive just got back from the vets with mimi a french lop that we have in at the moment, she,s got cataracts in both eyes and the vet says she,s completely blind:cry::cry: she,s only 1 year old the vet thinks its congenital :?
anyone have experience with blind bunnies can she still lead a good life ?

Aaww, poor Mimi:(
I had a blind dog, and the main things for her were to keep her environment unchanged, but I guess being a prey animal a rabbit could be quite stressed?
I'm sure given the right environment she can have QOL.

I've no experience with blind rabbits however I've worked with blind dogs and cats. Both species started off bumping into things and gping a little slower than normal however they overcame the disability. I think becuase animals rely so much on thier hearing and sense of smell, blindness isn't as debilitating as it is for humans. However its not nice for any animal to be blind, they do need their sight. Poor Mimi, has she got a mate? Sometimes its very reassuring to have a friend. Some of the blind dogs that were rehomed, were rehomed with a guide dog for blind dogs. Some animals naturally guide and help thier disabled mates. It will take time but you'll probably notice her other senses becoming more enhanced as she learns to cope.

Has she been prescibed a course or Fenbendazole ? Catarracts in young Rabbits can be the result of EC

Rabbits can cope with blindness. They just need their environment to remain familiar and a Bunny friend to suport them

Janex :)

I've got several blind bunnies and they get on really well. Once she's settled in a bit I think the best thing to do is bond her to a seeing bun that she can follow around.

I have had blind and deaf bunny ( due to EC )and he had a reasonably good quality of life for 4 years, he was great with a treat ball :)

Back