• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blocked Tear Ducts??

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Recently I've become more aware of how Kitts left eye is sometimes quite runny or has dried gunk under it. Does anyone have any pictures of what blocked tear ducts would look like?

It is usually just the one eye which is affected. His teeth look fine, he is a free range house rabbit and doesn't come in to contact with any sawdust, so I don't think it's an allergy.

Any advice would be appreciated =]

xx

You say his 'teeth look fine' but it is actually the tooth *roots* that can elongate and block the naso-lacrimal duct. I would take Kitt to your Vet who may be able to *gently* flush the duct. Sometimes a plug of pus blocks it causing constant tearing. A skull Xray is the only way to assess the tooth roots.
As it is only one eye that is effected it is more likely to be 'tooth related'.
The sooner any problem is identified and addressed the better

Janex :)

Thank you Jane.

I always assumed that if a rabbit had problems with their teeth they'd have problems eating - but he doesn't. Obviously, however, this isn't the case.

I shall get him in to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks,

Lou x x

Bless him, that boy doesnt get much luck does he?! :( Rhia also sometimes gets 'dried gunk' under her eyes too, does it look like a fair amount of dried sleep? Shes at the vets Monday so gonna ask about it :? Good luck for the gorgeous lil fella X

Back