• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi vacc - how does your vet..

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I read on here the other week some people saying that their vet injected the Myxi vacc in back of neck and a small amount in base of an ear. Now I just want to check as Darcy has always had it in back of neck. And I took all four of my bunnies last week to the vets - and they were all injected just at back of neck.

Where does your vet inject it? Does it really matter?:?

What matters is that 10% of the vaccine goes *intradermally* It is possible to do this in the scruff but that relies strongly on the Vet's vaccinating technique. The skin is thickest at the base of the ears so it is easier to make sure the intradermal part of the dose is given correctly

Janex :)

it doesnt matter which method used as long as 10% is administered into skin. my vet does it in scruff pullling out to do the last bit. he does this rather than in ear as he says it is more sore for bunny in the ear. and he likes least stress poss for bun.

10% intradermally into the scruff and then the remaining 90% S/C into the scruff.

It is supposedly easier to give the intradermal dose into the base of the ear but some vets disagree.

My vet gets two needles.

10% goes in the base of the ear

the other needle with the remaining vaccine goes into the scruff.

My old vet used to do it in the base of the ear but the new vet does it in the scruff. I prefer the scruff method because the ear method seemed to hurt them more. They would always rub their ears afterwards.

My old vet used to do it in the base of the ear but the new vet does it in the scruff. I prefer the scruff method because the ear method seemed to hurt them more. They would always rub their ears afterwards.

Polo and Opal had theres done last week and didnt move :lol: They become frozen at the vets, they hate it. You can do anything to them and they just sit still.

The manufacturers data info' sheet recommends the intra-dermal dose is done in the ear base

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Frances Harcourt-Brown did a study on the efficacy of giving the intra-dermal dose into the scruff as opposed to the ear base. She injected a special dye into a deceased ( :cry:) Bun and found that if the vaccine is given intradermally into the scruff there is inadequate tissue coverage, whereas if given into the ear bases the dye ( which represented the Myxo Vaccine) got to 'where it was supposed to'.

Janex

Thanks for that everyone.

Jane - that worries me as I at the time I did ask my vet about how on here people had said about it a bit being injected in the ear base and he just reacted like it was complete jibberish. :( He did pull the scruff up and do it slowly so hopefully he did the 10%. This is a low risk area so hopefully we'll be okay with the protection they have.

The lady vet did the other bunny couple later with myxi (had to take them separately as they don't get on!) and she did it the same as the male vet.

I'm going back next week for the VHD vaccs so will question them about that report. :?

Polo and Opal had theres done last week and didnt move :lol: They become frozen at the vets, they hate it. You can do anything to them and they just sit still.

Ours try and move about and get off the table and then refuse to go back into their carriers.

I will have to ask about that study next time I go.

Mine turn into big babies and climb up my front for cuddles which is quite cute, I might take them more often :lol: They take some getting out of the carrier- we usually have to take the lid off and let them stay in it.

Our vet does it in the scruff and injects the last bit whilst pulling it out.

10% intradermally into the scruff and then the remaining 90% S/C into the scruff.

Mine have both in the scruff.

Obviously worked as Monty got a very mild form of nodular myxi last year but barely affected him.

Mine have both in the scruff.

Obviously worked as Monty got a very mild form of nodular myxi last year but barely affected him.

Just read my post back and it looks like I was saying thats the 'right' way to do it.

Thats the way my vet choses to do it but Im not sure whether it makes a difference or not.

My vet does it in the scruff for both parts then looks for the little lump under the skin to tell him he's done it right.

Back