• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blind or deaf, how to tell?

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
OK I'll try to explain this the best I can.

One of my buns Flopsy has never been quite right. She's 2 years old now, we've had her since she was 8 weeks old and she was bonded with Moonshine the same day we got her.

We did all the same things we did with Moonshine to gain trust, like sitting on the floor with her, hand feeding etc. but she's always been skittish.

She only lets my son stroke her, if I try, the second I touch her she runs off. She always seems startled by my presence and I've no chance of picking her up. My hubby manages to pick her up but she usually takes a bit of chasing first.

Her behaviour has led me to the conclusion that she's either got problems with her eyesight or her hearing which is why she is so startled and nervous all the time.

Any ideas?

is she a REW? bcus they often have problems witht heir eyesight?

if its her eyesight i think you would see her 'scanning'..when they sort of sway to try and focus...does she do that?

Difficult really. Does she still get startled even when you approach her from the front?

Dillon is deaf. He is a really friendly bunny so it was easy to diagnose as he only became skittish if he hadn't seen you coming, otherwise he is fine. He often doesn't hear me open the garage door when he is asleep so jumps out of his skin when he wakes up and I'm there, bless him.

I wonder if the vets could help?

Lian xx

Difficult really. Does she still get startled even when you approach her from the front?

Dillon is deaf. He is a really friendly bunny so it was easy to diagnose as he only became skittish if he hadn't seen you coming, otherwise he is fine. He often doesn't hear me open the garage door when he is asleep so jumps out of his skin when he wakes up and I'm there, bless him.

I wonder if the vets could help?

Lian xx

She's startled whichever direction I come at her from.

She's happy enough because she's bonded with Moonshine.

I could ask the vet when we go for Myxo jabs in a couple of weeks.

I find that deaf rabbits startle more easily than blind rabbits, but its possible they may have hearing and sight difficulties.

Watch her very carefully and you should be able to work out what she has problems with.

For example a couple of mine have partial sight and hearing. If I go into the room quietly and sit there awhile they don't know I'm there but if I suddenly cross my legs they go running for cover. It's the same if i make a sudden noise.

For totally deaf rabbits I find the hoover is a good test, not very scientific i know, but if that doesn't worry them there's a good chance they are completely deaf.

My totally blind rabbits don't really react any differently to normal rabbits as long as everything is kept the same.

You know your rabbit best, just watch how she reacts to certain things. I don't know if this helps but I know what I mean :rolleyes:

I *suppose* that you could try making a loud noise and seeing how/if she reacts at all? I wouldn't normally go about the place suggesting people try "startle" a rabbit with a noise (it doesn't have to be too loud - just enough to expect a reaction...) but in a bid to establish if hearing a problem...:?

Can I just ask though (I don't mean to be rude - it just puzzles me) how come she isn't startled by your son? Surely if she was deaf the sudden presence of anyone (including your son) would startle her wouldn't it?:? Maybe it's because you're female if she's okay with both your son and husband handling her??? JUST a thought but animals think in VERY strange ways sometimes...

Hoping you sort it soon anyway!

TP;)

ETA: I'm glad Hugo's There has ALSO suggested a "noise test" - didn't want to be the only one suggesting "rabbit startling through noise" and was typing as the last post was posted.:)

Last edited:
When I suspected Paige had sight and hearing dificulties I took her to see Anita who performed a series of stimuli tests on her to gauge her reactions.

We concluded she was partially sighted and could not hear low pitched sounds.

Can I just ask though (I don't mean to be rude - it just puzzles me) how come she isn't startled by your son? Surely if she was deaf the sudden presence of anyone (including your son) would startle her wouldn't it?:? Maybe it's because you're female if she's okay with both your son and husband handling her??? JUST a thought but animals think in VERY strange ways sometimes...

I've no idea why she's fine with my son :?

You might be onto something with the male female thing

There is research to suggest that rabbits bond better with people of the opposite gender to themselves....a reason why until recently I always had male house rabbits.

When I suspected Paige had sight and hearing dificulties I took her to see Anita who performed a series of stimuli tests on her to gauge her reactions.

We concluded she was partially sighted and could not hear low pitched sounds.

I may do, it's just even though my vets are ok with rabbits they look at you as if your mad if you go for anything other than an obvious physical problem (ie stasis etc)

There is research to suggest that rabbits bond better with people of the opposite gender to themselves....a reason why until recently I always had male house rabbits.

OMG!!! Well I NEVER knew that!!!!:shock: I knew animals can be "odd" with people of certain gender but never knew that this was something researched and that conclusions had been drawn from such!

TP - Thinking she MIGHT VERY WELL be "on to something" with the female suggestion if hearing turns out to be fine...:)

It was nothing hugely scientific and TBH I havn't the foggiest where I read it but it rings true in my personal experience too.

To Lexie I am another being to be tolerated but to Caspian, Marley, Fiver & Rowan I was their 'mate'.

Sooz22 - I am thinking this may be true of animals other than rabbits too as I am very sure I heard of a "gender issue" somewhere to even suggest it in the first place. Just never made the connection to "same sex" being more a problem - BUT "Yup!" it makes sense!;)

TP

Back