• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do happy hutches/runs need treating?

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
Exactly what the title says basically - my 6ft x 4ft combo is being delivered tomorrow or Monday, I was just wondering if it will need treating with something or other or if it comes ready treated? If so I know creosote/creosote alternatives aren't good - what is actually safe? Cuprinol? Does it have to be done regularly? Sorry I haven't a clue!

I've had mine 2yrs and never treated them - they are still good although I do cover them up every night, which protects the wood a bit - they are in full sun on a southern patio though - I might paint them this year if it stops raining long enough :roll:

I would suggest all hutches are treated on arrival, from a long discussion I have had with the people at Ryedale hutches they treat their hutches before they go out, however they do recommend that all hutches they sell are treated within 3 months of purchase. I would assume that this is the same for the Happy Hutch, however if it isnt you will not have damaged your hutch but probably done it a favour.

I would strongly suggest that you do not use creosote as the long-term exposure to low levels of creosote, has resulted in skin cancer in animals as well as humans. In 2003 the European Union banned creosote for amateur and unlicensed professional use, due to concerns over these health effects, recent research had shown that the risk of skin cancer had perhaps been underestimated previously.

There are many animal friendly wood preservatives available including most of the DIY own brands and also ones like cuprinol. If you wish to make your hutch more waterproof you can add a small amount of cooking oil to it, it will take longer to dry, however you will notice that the water will literally run off it instead of some soaking into the wood.

If you want your hutches to last I would suggest doing them on arrival and then once a year after this.

I would suggest all hutches are treated on arrival, from a long discussion I have had with the people at Ryedale hutches they treat their hutches before they go out, however they do recommend that all hutches they sell are treated within 3 months of purchase. I would assume that this is the same for the Happy Hutch, however if it isnt you will not have damaged your hutch but probably done it a favour.

I would strongly suggest that you do not use creosote as the long-term exposure to low levels of creosote, has resulted in skin cancer in animals as well as humans. In 2003 the European Union banned creosote for amateur and unlicensed professional use, due to concerns over these health effects, recent research had shown that the risk of skin cancer had perhaps been underestimated previously.

There are many animal friendly wood preservatives available including most of the DIY own brands and also ones like cuprinol. If you wish to make your hutch more waterproof you can add a small amount of cooking oil to it, it will take longer to dry, however you will notice that the water will literally run off it instead of some soaking into the wood.

If you want your hutches to last I would suggest doing them on arrival and then once a year after this.

Excellent, very informative thank you very much :) I'll pop down to B&Q on Saturday and see what they've got - do they often state whether the own brands are safe for animals? I have a feeling that cooking oil might make the buns want to munch on the hutch/run even more but I'm game for a laugh :lol:

Back