• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need help urgently!!

rocio5101

New Kit
Hello my rabbit Patch is a year old and from one day to another he suddenly couldn't get up. It seems to be something wrong with his back legs or back?? He lives in a pen with 2 guinea pigs. There's no way he could've fallen or hit with something. He is eating for me and drinking water but he can't get up. The vet told me he might had stumped his back feet so hard that he hurt his spine but before putting him down I need a second oppinion. X rays would be another option but they cost £ 50.00 each and if it's the spine there's nothing to do so I am really sad because I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Can you go to another vet?

I know that if it was one of my three £50 would be nothing, heck £150 would be nothing, whether my insurers would pay me back or not.

Did you go into the vets or just over the phone? I think if you went in they would be able to be more helpful. It could be all sorts of things and not necessarily a back injury. Is he grinding his teeth? THis can suggest pain. It really isn't necessary to put him down at this stage and I would strongly advise to either see a different vet or get the xray done.

Hi rocio5101,

I would be inclined to seek the help of another vet too if you aren't happy - but if an x-ray is the advise given I would go ahead and have that done.

I would also remove the bun from the GPs - rabbits can cause them harm and you don't want to have to take one of them to the vet on top of sorting out Patch.

I'm sorry to hear Patch isn't feeling too clever, but sending him "get well vibes" and hoping something can be done to help him out.

TP

thanks

Did you go into the vets or just over the phone? I think if you went in they would be able to be more helpful. It could be all sorts of things and not necessarily a back injury. Is he grinding his teeth? THis can suggest pain. It really isn't necessary to put him down at this stage and I would strongly advise to either see a different vet or get the xray done.

I took him to the vet and she told me that even if we had him x rayed and the problem was his back there would be nothing to do. So I might try another vet. Thanks.

Definately go to the vet asap, but do the pinch test on his back toes. If he looks around or tries to pull his toes back he can feel, and that's good.
If not the prognosis isn't too good, especially if he hasn't had some kind of injury you can see. Bring him indoors and keep an eye on him too, you need to see if he is peeing and pooing. If he is thats also a good sign that he can still feel and control his bowels.

If you tell us your area, someone may be able to recomend you a good bunny savy vet. There are a number of things that can cause paralysis and as said before it doesn't necessarily mean putting to sleep. Off the top of my head there are three other possible causes:

Ec - A parasite that can cause seizures and so on. Can be treated with a wormer and steroids but you might get no/partial recovery

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo10.html

Floppy rabbit syndrome - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119026

Stroke

I'm certainly no expert on this but did your vet not even offer muscle stimulants/adrenaline?

I would definately go to another vet and definately get x-rays so you know exactly where you stand.

If it is his back then at least you've explored everything and have the full information before proceeding.....

If you tell us your area, someone may be able to recomend you a good bunny savy vet. There are a number of things that can cause paralysis and as said before it doesn't necessarily mean putting to sleep. Off the top of my head there are three other possible causes:

Ec - A parasite that can cause seizures and so on. Can be treated with a wormer and steroids but you might get no/partial recovery

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo10.html

Floppy rabbit syndrome - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=119026

Stroke

I think they can also trap a nerve - rather like sciatica. My childhood bun did something like this once, and with 'bed' rest (confined space where he could get food & water without needing to move) he recovered by himself - typically before we got him to the vet (had emerg vet advice by phone)...:roll:

Back