• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nursing My Poorly Bun!!!any Ideas?

billysmom

Mama Doe
HI ALL PLEASE HAVE YOU ANY IDEAS, BILLY MY DWARF LOP HAD ANOTHER OP YESTERDAY POOR THING FOR AN ABCESS, HES GOT A DRAIN IN SO I CAN ADMINISTER ANTIBIOTICS WHICH HE SOOO DISLIKES AND THEN WEVE HAD TO PUT A SOCK ON HIS REAR LEG, AS HES SCRATCHING DONT THINK IVE BEEN TO BED.USUALLY HES SO GOOD FOLLOWS US EVERYWHERE EATS OUT OF OUR HANDS AND GENERALLY VERY SPOILT.HE EATS RUSSEL RABBIT FOOD MIX AND WONT EAT THAT, IVE GRATED CELERY/CARROT AND HES EATEN THAT AND A BIT OF TIMOTHY HAY PLUS HES GOT ACCESS TO BOTTLED WATER IN CAGE AND A BOWL OF WATER ON HIS BLANKET BY THE FIRE (WHICH I HAVENT SAW HIM DRINK YET!!!) THE VET AS GAVE ME A COLLAR FOR HIM BUT ONLY AS A LAST RESULT BUT PREFERS ME NOT TO USE IT, HES MISERABLE, WITH WEARING HIS UMBRO SOCK BUT LAST TIME PULLED HIS STITCHES.ANY IDEAS ,CANT PUT ANY PICS UP OF HIM AS NEW TO SITE AND HAVENT THE TIME AS CONSTANTLY WATCHING HIM....:wave:

Poorly Bun

Hi, Thanks For Your Reply, I Was Sent Home With Two Lots Of Baytril.one For The Drain And Another To Give Orally And Nothing Else.hes Managed Grated Carrot/celery And Banana Plus Some Timothy Hay.he Has Been Pooing But I Havent Seen Him Drink, Hes Never Been A Big Drinker.do You Think I Should Syringe Feed Him The Water Just Dont Want To Stress Him Out Anymore.thanks.

Hi, Thanks For Your Reply, I Was Sent Home With Two Lots Of Baytril.one For The Drain And Another To Give Orally And Nothing Else.hes Managed Grated Carrot/celery And Banana Plus Some Timothy Hay.he Has Been Pooing But I Havent Seen Him Drink, Hes Never Been A Big Drinker.do You Think I Should Syringe Feed Him The Water Just Dont Want To Stress Him Out Anymore.thanks.

Firstly I would ask the Vet to prescribe some pain relief. I feel sure that will help
If he is eating Veg he will be getting some fluid from them. You could attempt syringing him some water but any added stress will be counter-productive.
I cant emphasise enough the importance of obtaining adequate analgesia for him
I hope he feels better soon

Janex :)

hi again

Hi Just wrote metecam down as taking billy back to vets in the morning, to check his drain.Ifeel really bad for not asking for pain releif for him, i will ensure he gets it tommorow.plus just put a spot of ribena in his water and hes started to take sips hope that wont hurt him but ive sat for over 8hrs watching and feeding him.How peple cope with two or more rabbits wonders belief as worrying myself to death.Again thankyou.

Hi Just wrote metecam down as taking billy back to vets in the morning, to check his drain.Ifeel really bad for not asking for pain releif for him, i will ensure he gets it tommorow.plus just put a spot of ribena in his water and hes started to take sips hope that wont hurt him but ive sat for over 8hrs watching and feeding him.How peple cope with two or more rabbits wonders belief as worrying myself to death.Again thankyou.

It never ceases to amaze me how some Vets fail to prescribe pain relief to Bunnies :rolleyes: All too often the owner has to *demand* it. Its never like that with Dogs and Cats. Its not your fault that the Vet failed to prescribe them. Most people assume that they would.
I hope that your Bun will so be fully recovered

Janex :)

Thankyou

:wave:Hi took Billy back today and said that i felt he wasnt eating due to being in pain, she had gave him a shot of metecam the day of the op, but obviously he needed pain releif yesterday.Shes gave me 3 days worth 0.05 each day and after his injection today as been much better thankfully:D thankyou.:p

Back