• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Housing

Hi Everyone

Please can someone tell me what is a suitable size accommodation is for 2 house rabbits?

We currently have one male mini lop, but want to get him a wifey! The rescue place we want to go to is very strict on the size and state that it should be 6ft x 2ft x 2ft but this seems to be for outside rabbits and nothing is stated for indoor buns. Some friends had a pair from them and they had to build all sorts to pass the house inspection.

So over the bank holiday we constructed the above size cage using Neat Idea Cubes amongst other things, now we don't have a huge house and it does seem a little large so was thinking of reducing it but not sure what do as i feel we will be refused if it isn't 6ft?

He is only in the cage whilst we are at work and then he gets the run of the entire downstairs when were at home.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Amanda & Magic

Lots of people use 4' dog crates, there are some nice coloured ones on ebay. You can also add on a run with metal panels, depending on how much free time they have :)

The indoor housing doesn't have to be 6ft, if the bunnies will be let out for a long period. They can be in a dog crate with a shelf etc.

Search around on the forum and I am sure you will get lots of useful info:)

i passed my homecheck with a 36" dog crate and a run attached making a cage size of 6ft x 3ft but that was on the understanding that the buns would have the run of the downstairs most of the time i.e. when ever i am in :)

ive slightly increased the size now to a 7ft x 3.5ft cage for locked in time.

i have a medium bun and a small bun.

the rescue would not have accepted anything less that a 48" crate if there wasnt a run attached but even then locked in time would have to be a minimum.

Just remember, with NICs you can build up for extra floor space. :D (But don't forget to leave some parts of the cage at least 2 grids high so bunnies can stand up. :)

Building upwards is a good plan :D Think as long as the buns get a good amount of exercise time then what you have is sufficient. Good luck with finding the wifey bun!

Our bonded pair Fae and Joey have run of our living room, which is pretty big, the hallway, kitchen and bathroom for most of the day, but when they are penned up it is in the largest dog crate size (not sure how big it is in inches? Its meant for very big dogs)

The best option is to ask the rescue. Indoor rabbits tend to spend more time out in a larger area (your house) so smaller cage sizes are more acceptable :D

Back