• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dave merlin

my beautiful boy..(the brother of silly rabbits beautiful beau..:wave: becky) was some time ago bitten we think by a wild rat on the ears.. the ears got all lumpy and broke open with stinky rabbit pus and an abcess formed on his cheek... he was taken in and operated on but unfortunatly it came back so he had a second more extensive op.. the operation appeared a success but the lumps are back and the eyes are weeping and the nose is all blocked up with thick white pus.. the eye was cloudy which the vet put down to the abcess being clos to the nerve of the eye which way make it harder for him to blink? hes having baytril and eye drops and were off back to the vets but I'm woundering if there are any more ideas? ive already spent £450 and will spend whatever it takes but it is getting crippling..

Ceporex is very good for abcesses but needs to be injected daily.

Have his teeth been checked to rule out dental disease?

I agree with Ceporex - and with dental issues - an x-ray would help as well in this situation - if you could get a conscious x-ray then that's even better:D

he has been x rayed and it isnt the teeth.. he has done a culture and sensativity test too and baytril was a good one for it.. hes eating fine but smells funny... not a soar smell but almost bitter?:shock:

he has been x rayed and it isnt the teeth.. he has done a culture and sensativity test too and baytril was a good one for it.. hes eating fine but smells funny... not a soar smell but almost bitter?:shock: the puss had got into the cartlige of the ear I cant clean it out myself as it hurts him too much

Aww hun I didnt realise he was this bad :cry: Hope he is going to be ok he seemed to be coping really well last time I was up. Im trying to text you but there seems to be something up with the network because my phone isnt working :roll: Im at the vet on Monday with our kitten Hunter and will ask assuming we see Hugh if there is anything else that hasnt been mentioned, but I think the vet your with is better anyways and would probably know more.

Ive some more apple sticks, had another huge bunch dropped off last night so I will bring some up at some point :) x

metronidazole worked with Maa's head abscess - she had half a tablet ground up in mushed up pellets, every day for 8 days, along with baytril at the same time - didn't upset her tum at all either - she's an average size bunny - hope you can find a cure soon :(

daves going back to the vets today at five and i think weve come to the end of the line:cry: he has a large lump under his eye on his nose and has lost condition.. were really struggling financhally and due to a legal issue we have had all our money and an extra 800 (so were now horrendously overdraw) taken from our bank leaving my partner and I with no money at all for the month to live on etc...I still owe money on daves two operations and have begged and borrowed 50 pounds.. I dont know if i can justify spending any more money we the children have nothing.. feel awful.. will speak with the vets and if there is anything that can be done with out operation but he is so unhappy now... any advise would be great..

I am so sorry to hear that Dave isn't doing so great and that you are having financial problems. I know all of us would be willing to spend infinate amounts of money on our lovely bunnies if we could but at the end of the day practical considerations sometimes do have be accounted for. It sounds like you have tried really hard with Dave but bunny abcesses do have a horrible habit of never really going away however hard we try.

I'm so sorry the time has come for you to make this difficult decision. Hopefully a good discussion with your vet will help you decide whether further treatment is practical. I will be thinking of you and let us know how you get on.

dave was put to sleep today.. he had gone down hill and was quite depressed.. he went quickly and i know it was the right decision... he was a lovely little man and i wish it had been diffrent... :cry:.. Posey mo has been with dave for a year now and there bonded. Do rabbits feel grief? she now appears to be bonded with tumness van dam.. shes always been a bit of a depressive and dave merlin brought her out of herself

Back