• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is my rabbit pregnant?

amy71

New Kit
My rabbit gave birth to 6 lovely kits 9 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago she started building her nest. I have read that this is usually done a few days before giving birth. So with it now being 2 weeks ago that she built the nest I am a little confused as she has not given birth yet. Is this normal? Please help.

did you leave the male in with the female straight after she gave birth??

If yes then she is probably pregnant. Gestation is 28/31 days approx, does that fit in with when the female was with the male?

Sorry not much help but i have never had rabbits with babies as mine are all spayed/neutered.

This is possibly in the wrong section and a mod will probably move it to the care section:)

yes the male was left with the female, I took him out of the cage when I saw she had built a nest. I have tried them together since but she does not want anything to do with him.

If the male is not neutered then they will continue to reproduce very very quickly,do you have a separate cage for the male,if you get both of them neutered then they should be able to live together in one cage if introduced carefully

definitely going to get them neutered after the kits are born??? If she is pregnant. They are both in separate cages now but the cages are next to each other. The male is not happy, He is thumping about his cage all the time. So hopefully they will be back together soon.:)

yes the male was left with the female, I took him out of the cage when I saw she had built a nest. I have tried them together since but she does not want anything to do with him.

It would be very stressful to her body for the female to get pregnant again so soon.

Nest building usually occurs days before a birth. If no kits are born within a few days of her building a nest, it's likely to be a phantom pregancy caused by hormones.

If you get your boybun neutered, wait 6 weeks (he will still be fertile), then rebond with the female, they can live together happily as a proper couple. If your female is spayed, the phantom pregnancies will stop & you will cut out her chances of getting ovarian cancer - which occurs in approx 80% of unspayed does from 3 year old up.

It would be very stressful to her body for the female to get pregnant again so soon.

Nest building usually occurs days before a birth. If no kits are born within a few days of her building a nest, it's likely to be a phantom pregancy caused by hormones.

If you get your boybun neutered, wait 6 weeks (he will still be fertile), then rebond with the female, they can live together happily as a proper couple. If your female is spayed, the phantom pregnancies will stop & you will cut out her chances of getting ovarian cancer - which occurs in approx 80% of unspayed does from 3 year old up.

Incidentally - your MALE baby buns will need separating from Mum by 10 weeks at the latest, to ensure she doesn't get pregnant to her sons. The male babies will then need separating from the female babies shortly too, to ensure the females don't get pregnant. At about 5-6 months old, hormones may kick in, & the male buns will start to fight unless they are all neutered.

Thanks Angie65 for the advice, very helpful. I have already separated the buns from their mum. They are also in a separate cage and doing really well. Could you explain to me what Free the REW eight is please as I am new to the forum.:)

Thanks Angie65 for the advice, very helpful. I have already separated the buns from their mum. They are also in a separate cage and doing really well. Could you explain to me what Free the REW eight is please as I am new to the forum.:)

The thread is here:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...hlight=zealand

Are you keeping all the babies? I have a bonded group of 9, all neutered/spayed & it's ace watching them all interact together. This is largely a Rehoming/Rescue forum is all. There's something like 30,000 homeless buns sitting in Rescues, needing homes, in the UK. Would be a shame to add to that number, if you are unable to keep them:cry: Unfortunately, people buy them unaware of how long they can actually live for, so they are given up within a couple of years:cry:

I picked up a pair of buns from the free ads once, & they gave birth the next day:shock: Cost me a fortune getting that lot neutered:roll::) I only kept one, but the rest got rehomed through a Rescue & on here:)

Got homes for 2 of them but I am keeping all of the other buns. Need to get them all neutered/spayed at the appropriate time. Couldn't be without them now, it's ard work but they are worth it

Poor bun she's probably exhausted! As the male was left in with her I'd say she's almost certainly pregnant again. I'd suggest you get the adult buck neutered now, that way he will start to feel less frustrated as his hormone levels drop off, and by the time mum has raised her second litter, he will be infertile so ready to try to be re-bonded with her. The longer you leave it before getting him 'done', the more frustrated he will get and the longer it will be before he can have a companion back.

Got homes for 2 of them but I am keeping all of the other buns. Need to get them all neutered/spayed at the appropriate time. Couldn't be without them now, it's ard work but they are worth it

:roll: you think it's hard work, imagine how the mum feels bless her lol! xx

Back