• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Baby Rabbit. HELP URGENTLY NEEDED

toffeeapple

Warren Scout
Hi there.
Yesterday around 4o'clock my naughty cat caught the most beautiful baby rabbit you will ever see.
It didn't move and thought it was dead so i picked it up but it started going beserk. I put it in a box of hay to calm it down before i released it and when i did it just lay on it's side and started to run but on its side ( only moving if its hind legs caught the ground, it'd flip ) i thought okay.. it's got a broken neck or something.. it will be cruel to let it die here cold and lonely and prime to preditors..so i have kept it in my pet caddy full of hay.
I kept it over night AND IT'S STILL ALIVE NOW!! it seems all perky but can't move. I'm really stuck what to do. We can't afford to take it to the vets, but after some research it says that some vets will do it for free. WHAT SHALL I DO. I am NOT going to kill it, i could not bring myself to do it. I want this little beauty to die or get better in dignity. PLEASE HELP !
thanks

It sounds like its broken it's spine or something, I think most vets will put it to sleep free of charge so it doesn't suffer- have you tried calling yours and asking them?

Poor Baby Rabby

I'm in a little village in Essex.
I feel so sorry for him. I don't want to keep him until he dies of starvation, that's incredibly cruel.
Thanks your reply was appreciated

I'm in a little village in Essex.
I feel so sorry for him. I don't want to keep him until he dies of starvation, that's incredibly cruel.
Thanks your reply was appreciated

As others have said, most vets will treat for free. Ring the nearest one and explain the situation. I have taken many wild animals in to different vets and never had a problem.

Reply From Vets

The local vets said they have a wildlife programme where they will do everything they can for it and if worse comes to worse they will humanely put it to sleep. I will pop over there this afternoon as i need my mum to come back from work to drive me ( as i can't drive )
poor little soul seeing him in that little box breaks my heart, it really does:cry:

Last edited:
Making Him Comfortable

now i know what will happen to him what can i do to make him v.i.b ( very important bunny ) he's laying on hay but what food can i give him or anything??

He must be used to eating grass and dandelions, so I'd pick some of them - nice long grass if you can find it - He's most likely in shock so needs to be kept warm too, and is unlikely to eat if he's shocked, but it's worth a try :)

Thanks Elve!

Much Appreciated!
I have taken a few pictures of him ( I've Called Him Monkey - because he played dead until i tried to let him go.. cheeky monkey!)

HOW DO I POST THEM?
I've only joined today

Munch Munch Munch

Okay, so he's eating quite nicely.... BUT i have a rabbit of my own and when he eats he just eats it and maybe i can hear him tearing the grass apart but when the baby rabbit eats it sounds like some SERIOUS crunching it happening. COULD HIS JAW BE BROKEN?
Sorry if i sound like an idiot but it's just i have no idea about rabbits although i do have my own.
Also would a rabbit who's broken his back eat as happily as he did?

Okay, so he's eating quite nicely.... BUT i have a rabbit of my own and when he eats he just eats it and maybe i can hear him tearing the grass apart but when the baby rabbit eats it sounds like some SERIOUS crunching it happening. COULD HIS JAW BE BROKEN?
Sorry if i sound like an idiot but it's just i have no idea about rabbits although i do have my own.
Also would a rabbit who's broken his back eat as happily as he did?

Does he sound like he's grinding his teeth? Loud grinding can be an indication of pain in rabbits (not to be confused with very soft teeth grinding, which is a bit like bunny purring)

Sending lots of vibes for little Monkey x

Where are you in Essex? I'm in Braintree and I'll take him if neccesary as I have a lot of experience with wildlife.

Also to bear in mind - all vets HAVE to treat wildlife free of charge, and that doesn't just mean putting them down. Let me know asap :)

Braintree

i do know where braintree is!
i live in a littel village called Terling ( it's near Great Leighs )
THIS WEBSITE IS AMAZING!

i do know where braintree is!
i live in a littel village called Terling ( it's near Great Leighs )
THIS WEBSITE IS AMAZING!

LOL! I know Terling. If you can get it to the vet to get treatment they will probably be happy to give it back to you and you can bring it to me. I only have a motorbike so I can't get to you either (doh!)
He will need treatment asap though, and at least some pain relief. Could you get a taxi to the vet?

Back