• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Ebony won't eat

*Michaela*

Alpha Buck
Hi, went I went out to feed Ebony earlier, she didnt come running over like normal, and when I lifted her she felt a bit limp, so I brought her inside. She hasn't ate or pooped since she came in, but has taken a tiny drink. She is quite fussy normally, but will readily eat the things she likes (hay isn't one of those things).

The only other time Ive had a rabbit not eat was when my Pebble died last year -Ebonys sister, I am so distraught right now, I am convinced she is going to die, shes only just turned 2.

What can I do? No vets will be open at this time, not that anybody would drive me anyway, and they are all **** here, havent a clue about rabbits only know cows.

Ive tried to make her eat hay, pellets and loads of different veggies but she won't. Please help. :cry: All her food from yesterday has been eaten btw, but I dont know when she finished it, and theres poo in her tray but I dont know when she last pooed.

How long now since she last ate?

I don't want to worry you, but when bunnies go downhill it happens VERY quickly.

Is there an on-call vet that you could telephone for advice? If you call your normal practice there should at least be an answerphone message with an emergency number.

Have to say that if she were my bunny I would probably be on my way to the emergency vet now :(

Oh dear. Have you any syringes that you could use to syringe some cooled boiled water into her? how does her stomach feel, is it making any noises? tense? soft?

agree with what already been said and just wanted to add, clean out the litter tray now and then you'll see if she's pooing now

I know how fast they go downhill, this happened to me with Pebble in september she died.:cry::cry: Rushed her to the vets and they gave her something, found out later it was dangerous to rabbits, thats what vets here a like, im in a very rural area of NI.

I have nowhere to take her, Id have to go to Belfast for an emergency vet (even then wouldnt know where to go) its like an hour away my dad hates my rabbits he wont take me, my mum cant drive. She thinks Im taking it too seriously anyway, that Im overreacting. Will call anyway, see what they say.

I dont know exactly when she last ate, just know that she didnt leave any food from yesterday, and has probably nibble at hay during the day.

Her stomach feels ok, no noises, there was noises from Pebble when it happened to her. Probably should have said shes not limp at all now, actually quite active and being a bit cheeky, I tried to make her chew some willow toys and she did a bit, and ate a little. I think she might have ate a pellet too. Shes been drinking too. Better get back up to her. (Could the fact that she inside be making her less willing to eat? Shes normally outside in a playhouse... and me in hysterics crying probably isnt helping either..)

I would try and entice her to eat with some fresh veg, treats and herbs if you have any. If she absolutely refuses to eat and you dont have any syringes, you can mash down some pellets with with warm water until it is like a paste and try and cover her paws in it. It may be that she doesn't want to eat by choice, but they don't usually like the feeling of strange things on them and will groom themselves to get it off. Hopefully she will pick up soon. I wouldn't put her back outside just incase she does deteriorate but keep her in a dim quiet place. Obviously the vet is your first port of call but I understand how hard it must be when you have parents that aren't supportive. I hope your bunny is ok.

Thanks Becki and Charlie.

Her tummy isnt hard, Ive tried to have a feel to see if theres any masses (a hairball maybe) in her but I cant feel anything.

I asked my dad if he would drive her he just shouted at me, he and mum think theres nothing wrong with her, shes laying with my mum on the sofa now being petted.

I have syringes, should I try and feed her a pellet paste from that? Or just water? Gaah Ive read this all so many times, Im just in such a state right now, I lover he so much. :cry:

Thanks Becki and Charlie.

Her tummy isnt hard, Ive tried to have a feel to see if theres any masses (a hairball maybe) in her but I cant feel anything.

I asked my dad if he would drive her he just shouted at me, he and mum think theres nothing wrong with her, shes laying with my mum on the sofa now being petted.

I have syringes, should I try and feed her a pellet paste from that? Or just water? Gaah Ive read this all so many times, Im just in such a state right now, I lover he so much. :cry:

Oh it's good that you have syringes. Sometimes people who aren't that clued up on rabbits don't realise how easily rabbits can deteriorate, and when they refuse food that is serious. They are hindgut fermenters and need food going through them constantly.

Anyway, you are doing the best you can for her so try not to worry. Yes, you should mash down some pellets with boiling water and allow them to cool. Make it thin enough to be able to be given via syringe in the side of her mouth. Just small amounts at a time. Syringe feed water too to make sure she remains hydrated. If any of my buns have to be syringe fed I set my alarm to get up frequently during the night to do so. It's very straining but the only way I feel like I am doing enough. I'm sure Ebony will do fine. If she becomes lethargic though I would urge your parents to have her seen by a vet.

sounds like she's eating a bit and drinking, so if you just get her to run about for 10 mins that might sort her tummy out - I always do that and then if they're still really poorly an hour later I syringe some infacol (baby wind medicine) - 1ml of that, and then 10ml of water with a splash of boiling from the kettle to warm it. I don't like to force feed them as if they have a bit of a blockage it puts pressure on it, whereas water will just help it pass along better. I leave them an hour then if they're no better give them another 10ml of water - that's worked so far (touch wood!)

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I will try them all. Parents have gone to bed theres no chance of getting to the vets tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Dont think Ill be getting much sleep tonight. I made her run around a bit, now shes laying down under the table which is a favourite spot of hers. Im not sure if I should keep her in my room or the kitchen, itd be cooler in the kitchen and Maddies in my room being a brat, so probably the kitchen.

Keep me in your thoughts, I dont have a good feeling about this. :cry:

The absolute best thing you can do if you have no hope of getting to the vets is to get warm water down her, as much as possible, keep her moving even if she looks uncomfortable and stimulate her tummy with some gentle stomach rubs.

Have her in front of your knees, kneeling on the floor and start behind her front legs, raise her back legs slightly into the air and rest them on your knees and work your hand down her abdomen in small circular motions.

Raising her back end will help encourage any trapped gas to pass, especially if you have no Infacol to hand.

The average time for a bun to digest and poos is about 6 hr. So if she ate some pellet at 6 pm, by midnight, you should see some poos.

IF there is no poos for 9 hr. or longer, then you could have a blockage. So you would be dealing with bloat, which is very dangerous. I lost my bunny due to bloat (He chewed the sofa and blocked his intestine)

So you have to check your bun's stomach, in particular, Ebony's left side. To be clear, if you are behind him, his back is closest to your body, it would be his left side stomach that you want to check for an expansion, a balloon size expansion. According to Dr. H Brown's book, it's always on the left, i.e., the left side is always bigger than the right if there were bloat.

If the above occur, or if there is no poos this coming morning, then you need to see a vet. INfacol only works if it is gas, if it is a physical blockage, it won't fix the problem. Physical blockage has to be surgerical remove

Hi everyone. :) Thanks for all your vibes and advice.

I thought I'd lost her in the night but shes still here. And we have poops!! :D Shes ate some celery, a little bit of parsley and even a bit of hay! :D Poops are a bit soft, but better than nothing. I dont think were out of the woods yet but were heading in the right direction.

Thanks Elve - I hope so too!

I lost my Pebble so suddenly in September, I was so afraid it was happening again. :cry: And I lost Berri last year too, to abscesses.

Oh bless, I saw the post last night and just didn't know the right thing to say.

Fingers crossed and healing vibes on there way to her. I hope she continues to improve.

xxx

Back