• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit friendly garden

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
My buns love eating my plants :roll:

So when we have sorted the fence and playhouse etc I thought I would fence off 'my' garden and have some pots with things that they can nibble on without coming to any harm. I've found these that are safe but has anyone got any to add that I haven't mentioned and are nice to look at? Oh and I don't like orange and yellow flowers so none of them :lol::roll:

Aster
Carnation(nope)
Daisy
Geranium(nope)
Geum(have no clue what that is!)
Helenium(got to have that just for the name!)
Hollyhock
Honesty(no clue)
Marguerite
Wall Flower
Sunflower(any kind?)
Stock
Rose(thought I could have a climbing one over the playhouse)
Nasturtium
Michaelmas Daisy
Marigold(nope)

I'm already growing some herbs for them and some Lavender and grass, can they eat sweet pea? Have some growing but will put them out of bunny reach if they aren't good.

Helen x

Last edited:
Hey Helen :wave:

Don't ask me, this was my attempt to bunny proof my plants at my old house in their old set-up but the rabbits always found a way past :rolleyes: No surprise there then :lol:

LianspetsMay2005018.jpg

Lian x

Hey Helen :wave:

Don't ask me, this was my attempt to bunny proof my plants at my old house in their old set-up but the rabbits always found a way past :rolleyes: No surprise there then :lol:

LianspetsMay2005018.jpg

Lian x

Thats what I was going to do too as I have done that temporarilly to bunnyproof the garden however Piper proved that she is far more intelligent than me when she started hopping round next doors garden :roll::lol:

By the way did they manage ok on the pebbles? We are going to turf under the run when we move it but put pebbles/gravel everywhere else with some stepping stones do you think this will be ok on their paws?

I have lavender and some alpine type plants in my garden. I'm hoping to bunny proof the whole garden for summer. I'll have to investigate what's safe for them to munch too.

My buns have stripped my garden of everything that grows! The lawn has been reduced to no grass, just moss, I have had to fence around my trees, as they have started stripping off the bark.
No plant stands any chance of survival....

I had to chuckle when you said about potting things up for them to nibble on:shock:. My buns have destroyed everything vaguely edible:roll::roll::cry:. The only plants standing are those kept out of reach, fenced off or too mature for them to destory:?.

I had the same idea last year. I potted up a mini herd garden and took out all plants that were not bunny friendly replacing them with those that were. I commend your actions as a bunny mummy wanting to do something nice, but the will just see it as a tasty garden buffet. I'd recommend trying something that will allow you to rotate the plants giving them a chance to recover.

Some of the most popular plants with my lot have been; basil, chives, pasley, tyme, hebe, lavender and heather.

Good Luck

By the way did they manage ok on the pebbles? We are going to turf under the run when we move it but put pebbles/gravel everywhere else with some stepping stones do you think this will be ok on their paws?

Hey

Sorry, only just read this Helen. It didn't seem to bother them and although Dillon has always had slightly sore hocks, Pippa never did so I don't think it was the pebbles. One thing that was great was I never had to cut their claws until we moved.

Lian x

I had to chuckle when you said about potting things up for them to nibble on:shock:. My buns have destroyed everything vaguely edible:roll::roll::cry:. The only plants standing are those kept out of reach, fenced off or too mature for them to destory:?.

I had the same idea last year. I potted up a mini herd garden and took out all plants that were not bunny friendly replacing them with those that were. I commend your actions as a bunny mummy wanting to do something nice, but the will just see it as a tasty garden buffet. I'd recommend trying something that will allow you to rotate the plants giving them a chance to recover.

Some of the most popular plants with my lot have been; basil, chives, pasley, tyme, hebe, lavender and heather.

Good Luck

Thats why I was going to use pots so that I could rotate them and let them recover from being nibbled on! Might not work tho they might all get destroyed of course :roll:

Back