• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay dilema

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
But, I've got £30 to treat the rabbits and I'm unsure whether to spend it on 5 bales of dust free hay, or get them some toys and treats and some exotic hay from the hay experts and stick with their farm bales of hay.

I like that the dust free hay comes all seperately packaged and wont get everywhere, but is it silly to change back to it when we've found a local supplier who charges £5 for almost the same amount of hay. (I don't think it's as good quality, though they all still eat it.)

I like mine to have really good quality hay and then cardboard boxes and toilet rolls to play with, they prefer them anyway to expensive toys! :roll:

If it was me, I'd stick with the hay they like and use the money to buy treats/toys - perhaps tunnels, caves, igloos etc? Things that will last rather than things they'll eat/destroy quickly!! x

I would get the hay too. I used to get my hay from local farm and the bunnies ate it quite happily and it was fairly cheap. I decided to give the dust free hay a go and at the weekend I went to collect 2 big bags and the bunnies are going absolutely mad for it and they are now doing the biggest golden poops ever, which made me ever so excited :oops:

Awkward buns!

i bought them some lovely tomothy hay with herbs and some normal hay for their litters and they still dont eat that much hay at all! the tomothy has been hangin in their hay basket totally untouched..iv tried putting fresh herbs in there too mint n pasley to entise them to eat it but they are both not hay lovers??? what shall i do as i know its important..they get veg everyday...raddishes and fresh herb sprigs and other veg but they never seem to have a good old hay munch?

I used to get dust free hay when it was just my two, but now we're living together we have 7 and Naboo (who eats loads :lol:).

If it was me, I'd stick with the hay they like and use the money to buy treats/toys - perhaps tunnels, caves, igloos etc? Things that will last rather than things they'll eat/destroy quickly!! x

That's what I'm leaning towards really, I guess it's more for me but I like to give them new things and it feels better to buy them a toy than it does to just give them hay and cardboard. :lol:

Just to confuse things I'd buy hay! :lol: or a really good quality herb mix.

When I first got Arthur I spent £50 buying willow balls, plastic toys, a toy carrot, tubes and vet bed. He ignored all of it! :rolleyes:

Now he gets the best hay I can afford, herb mixes, turned over cardboard boxes and willow branches (taken from a nearby Willow tree). He spends hours hiding under the boxes, sitting in them, re-arranging them, biting them and generally abusing them and the expensive toys are sitting in a carrier bag waiting to be given to the local rescue :lol:

Waste of money this expensive fancy hay! ;)

Our buns absolutely LOOOOVVVEEE the nice cheap stuff from the local pet shop that comes from a local farm. It's not price that makes hay appealing to bunnies, it's taste.

I'd get some nice things for them to play with and stimulate them.

I'd go for the dust free hay and make your own toys/use cardboard boxes etc. Seems a waste to me to pay £10 for a toy that will probably be destroyed in a couple of days or less

definitely buy the hay. Hay is vital to their teeth, toy is just for fun. They also need the fiber from the hay too. Rabbit diet over the age of 1.5, should be 90% hay, as per Dr. Susan Brown research

I got mine lots of toys for Christmas which are ignored in favour of cardboard boxes and piles of hay every time :lol:

Our local shop sells bags of hay at £1 a bag which is superb quality and much better than the bulk bought stuff.
Our buns seem to enjoy hiding in and destroying cardboard boxes rather than the millions of pounds we have spent on rabbit toys which sit there and end up getting played with by the cat:roll:

Id def buy lots of different hays for them, as many as I could find. After all the hay will help keep their teeth healthy & save you spending even more money at the vet getting their teeth fixed

Give them old magazines,catalogues etc to tear up, cardboard boxes & loo roll tubes to munch on, all free & good fun to a bun

well we get bales of farm hay, and the other day a kid man who boardered his little nethie here gave us a HUGE box of timothy hay, and its so green and fresh the buns LOVE IT, so personally i wo uld get some hay and some toys etc too...

i spend £30 on the buns every 2 months, and i always go 4 PP

http://www.pamperedpiggies.co.uk/page.asp?module=shopProducts&categoryID=43&clientID=11

because i buy them toys to play with, small bags of hay, or gof or the bunny suprise..they LOVE it, and all the natural treats and herby bits she does, you could get them tasty treats too!

Spend half of it on hay and mix it with their normal hay? It'll last longer and you can spend the rest on toys

I would do this but if they aren't into toys (which mine aren't!) I would buy lots of pots of fresh herbs for the window sill for them to have too and maybe some cardboard tunnels :D

Think I'd go for the hay, but if they like and eat the farm hay you buy, I'd probably just get that and then a big fabric tunnel (think I paid 7.99 for mine & its out in all weathers, still in great condition - and the buns LOVE it!!) & a few little stools/childrens plastic chairs (cost about £2 & everybun Ive ever had has spent their life sat on them!!) :D X

They get cardboard boxes and free toys all the time though. :( I wanted to spoil them., I love giving them new things, but haven't been able to get them an online order for a while. :lol: They do like their toys. But me being the fusspot I am also wanted them to have posh hay. :)

I guess I'm answering my own question here, I think I'll go for the toys and etc and a bit of posh hay for mixing option and stick with their current hay. As they say, if it aint broke don't fix it.

definitely buy the hay. Hay is vital to their teeth, toy is just for fun. They also need the fiber from the hay too. Rabbit diet over the age of 1.5, should be 90% hay, as per Dr. Susan Brown research

I would just like to clarfiy, I was never considering not giving them hay, just changing the brand. I am aware of how important it is. :)

Last edited:
Back