• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it safe ???

hiya! yeah well I use it in a cardboard box in their play area as a dig box and they love it..just watch they dont eat it! and make sure to remove staples before shredding!

Personally I wouldn't, I know it's tempting but the painful cuts you can get from paper would put me off. Its quite tough and un-flexiable really.

x

Is there anything else I can use because my rabbit Rainbow has had sore eyes for a while took her to the vet and she gave me eyedrops (Fucithalmic) the vet thinks that they are irritated and not infected i am using shavings from the petshop at the moment. Thanks for your help and advice. Rainbow also has 4 baby rabbits which i have allready got good homes for when they are ready 23 april .Would one of her daughters be able to stay with her ?

since the paper is shredded it becomes quite soft..so gotta disagree about the paper cuts...not offense intended! my two are fine with it.

She could be bedded on just hay or hay/straw, I use megazorb in litter trays but some people use it on the hutch floor, vet bed is another good one if she won't pee on it or chew it up.

I read in the last issue of rabbiting on that some one wrote in a warning about shredded paper as their bunny ate it and it caused a blockage in their guts

I use finely shredded paper. I am always very sceptical about people who claim it caused a blockage.

I personally suspect the rabbit was already in some GI distress and the paper happened to be in the guts at the time, so when the tract shut down it dehydrated along with the rest of the stomach contents and caused a mass....just like trichobezoars (so called hairballs :rolleyes:) form secondary to stasis but are never the cause.

Just make sure there is no plastic or staples amongst the shreddings.

Thankyou for all the advice I think I will give it a try and see if her eyes settle down .I will keep an eye on her and see if she is eating it .Does anybody know how a mum rabbit will react to being kept with her daughter past the 8 weeks I would like to keep one of her litter .

We use shredded paper (household bills) for digging boxes. I don't think eating a little will do them much harm. After all we give them wood to eat and paper is just mushed up and treated wood. :)

Back