• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Merediths Metacam

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any ideas how i can get Meredith to take her metacam? She is currently on 12 drops 2 x daily. She use to take it ok on a slice of apple, then i had to move on to digestive biscuit now she won't eat that either. I've tried putting it in a syringe but it goes every where. I've also tried ryvita. With such a large dosage I can't drop it straight into her mouth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am concerned about her as she is also refusing to drink her water, I've tried two different probiotics in it and now she isn't drinking much plain water either. She also left some of her veg last night and a lot of her poos are quite small. She is quite happy in herself though but I am keeping a very careful eye on her.

I hope no one will tell me off and tell me its wrong but what about well cooked toast? That has worked for me before.

Little square - find the medicine goes in really well

Last edited:
Thanks, I wouldn't worry its probably a lot better than digestive biscuits, as long as I don't put jam on it :lol:

Well as relatively new to bunnies (30 jan) I await a telling off. I had read in many places that burnt toast was ok. One bun only liked brown bread though which was funny! We put a few pellets on top first to make sure they liked it.

A hay cake would work if you knew she would eat it all.

I put the drops into a syringe and then put the syringe into the mouth and just squirt then I know that the bunny has had the medicine

Hope this helps

well if you got it in her mouth you are doing better than I! One of mine just thought I was going to attack him.

Didn't get bubbles though when I was drawing up more than needed and then going back down to the right amount.

With the metacam branded syringe, it fits on the nozzle of the bottle, I usually turn it upside down to draw out.

You'd need to work out how much 12 drops is though.

How about mixed in a spoonful of porridge, several of mine will take it this way, or you could try on top of grated carrot

Thanks Gem, I've been trying to drop it into a 1ml syringe :roll:

I've just booked Meredith in with Jen tomorrow as she's hardly poo'd all morning

Ah now see, I don't use the metacam syringe - I use an ordinary 1ml one :) I take the top off the metacam bottle with a pair of pliers - then I can get the sryinge into the bottle no problem :) I have found the one drop equals 0.05ml :) I'd much rather do it this way then faff about:lol::lol::lol:

Also, you could try the metacam in a bit of grape juice that you have freshly squeezed from a grape :)

How long has or will Meredith be on Meloxicam? Im wondering if its worth asking your vet to put her onto Zantac or Tagamet as well to prevent GI ulceration as a side effect of the Metacam.

Personally I always give Metacam direct from the syringe.

I spoke to the vet about the metacam dose as I knew there had been further research on the doses.

Apparently it no longer is thought to cause gut ulceration or any kidney problems. Basically researchers kept increasing the dose of metacam on lab rabbits and even ridiculously high doses did no damage. Poor buns :(

I'm more concerned that the level of antibiotics she is on is causing more problems. I've tried her with different probiotics but she is drinking less and less. Hopefully she wont need the meds for much longer as there is no pus coming out of her any more she's just a little bit red in places underneth.

She is having a vet check tomorrow as I am worried about the amount she is eating , drinking and pooing.

I do have some zantac here if she needs it.

I agree re the Zantac/Tagamet :)

Would your Vet allow you to give the Metacam via injection? Not only do I find this easier when giving a large dose I also find it *appears* to be more effective given sub/cut rather than orally. No idea why when its the same dose :?

If you dont want to break the top off the Metacam bottle, which might effect the 'shelf life' of the contents just measure a small amount out onto a spoon and syringe it up using a 1ml syringe :)

Janex

How old is the research? Acceptable doses were increased a few months back but I have not heard any indications that ulcers/liver damage had been ruled out after prolonged use. Would make an interesting read.

My Pippa was taken off Meloxicam because she started bleed profusely from a very small cut and they worried about inflicting more damage on her liver.

I suspect its a case of vets having differeing opinions again though.

Jen my vet got the info from the RWF conference in November.

You can get the notes from the rwf website fro £10 I keep meaning to get them but haven't got round to it yet.

Back