• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Handling for health reasons

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Hi
Been reading lots of threads about rabbits who don't like to be handled but like to have a stoke or hand feed etc. This is the case with mine but how do I get over this issue as they need handling to check their little bums are in tact. Any advice / thoughts would be very appreciated.

Thanks

You've already gained their trust which is good.
Wrap yourself up well, including gloves, which will make you more confident
Kneel on the floor behind the bunny
Stroke the bun to reasure & possible distract with a bit of food
Put one hand under tum, other under bum and scoop to chest.
Hold for a few seconds then release. Give lots of treats and praise.
Repeat every two days, gradually extending the time you hold and the height.

Covering the eyes seems to help relax them & I have one very speedy bunny who doesn't like to be stroked much and usually runs away if approached. I usually pop a carboard box over her (open at both ends & scoop her up from there. It stops me having to chase her around. You can also use a towl and scoop them up in a bunny burito.

My own policy is that they just have to put up with it for health checks. If they like being stroked you can lull them into a false sense of security. I always put my hand over their heads just before I pick them up as this stops them from dashing off as they feel a hand touch their tummy. You could also try wrapping them up in a towel to avoid them kicking out.

I use an old towel too. I find if their heads are loosely covered they panic less. Wear gloves as well for the real fiesty ones, that added protection gives you the confidence to handle them gently but confidentally. As with most animals they can sense fear, they are already worried about being picked up so don't give them the added worry of knowing your not feeling confident either.

alvins a runner and fighter, ste can pick him up in the pen but i have to cheat and herd him into the carrier first :oops::oops:

hes getting less fighty with each time we pick him up tho :D:D

Back