• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We had a bit of a do with Mel's spay

toffee

Mama Doe
She was completely out of it until the next day - she just lay back with her head all floppy whenever I tried to pick her up. I really thought I was going to lose her. I've never had a rabbit that out of it so long after anaesthetic. And she wouldn't eat. It took me 36 hours of tempting and a trip to the vets for some metaclop and a painkiller before she finally ate a spoonful of baby food and a bit of parsley!!

The vet nurse told me when I picked her up that she'd eaten but I believe this to be a whopping lie!!! :? :censored:

The vet was reluctant to give extra pain relief but I'm sure she was refusing to eat because her tummy hurt from the operation. I insisted though!!!

Now she's jumping on the coffee table like nothing had happened.

Why do vets refuse to give pain relief to rabbits? I'd be very sore if I'd just had a major operation, I certainly wouldn't expect to be left with no pain relief!!!

The spay looks to have been really well done though. the scar is very neat and small and the stitches (internal) look to be holding together really nicely.

A vet should give painrelief as a matter of course after an operation. All our bunnies have a shot of vetergesic pre-op at the vets and are able to have Metacam if required, although very few actually need it.

I've never had a problem getting a top up if Vetergesic the next day either.

Glad Mel is feeling better now :D

Did she have Vetergesic at any point? I have found in the past when Evo has had this, that he is very very sleepy - to the point where he would start to eat and fall asleep with a piece of hay in his mouth, wouldn't move etc.

Did she have Vetergesic at any point? I have found in the past when Evo has had this, that he is very very sleepy - to the point where he would start to eat and fall asleep with a piece of hay in his mouth, wouldn't move etc.

I think she may have had this straight after the op. Maybe this is what made her so sleepy? They weren't going to do a follow up appointment but I took her in on friday anyway and asked them to give her some metacam because she was obviously in pain.

Back