• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We've had "bun fun" tonight!!!

Teepee

Mama Doe
:wave:

Some of you may recall that I have 2 baby buns that I am (attempting!) to make free-run house buns long-term.

Any-ho! There was I doing the "softly-softly" approach and extending supervised "run area" bit by bit (as not yet properly "litter trained") when (not at all excited by new arrivals mind!) OH intervened this evening: "That's all well and good but they need to have space to run don't they? - PROPER space like a room at least if inside as surely they'd have loads of space in the wild..." I DID explain that they may wee and poo if not litter trained all about if not "bit by bit" plan..."YEAH!" says he "THAT'S what animals do - they WILL make a mess...let them run about and we'll clean it up - I'm thinking they need stretch their legs more than an inside run..."

...GOOD enough for me!:lol: They have been LEAPING like things possessed since 9pm and are still at it now! To date NO wee and only a few poos (they seem to keep "popping into open hutch" for drinks/eats and most poos.) What is most cute is if any of us enter room they come running and follow us about!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Hmmm...I am thinking this "making rabbits house buns" me larky isn't as hard as I imagined. IF they continue this way (and only do a few poos outside hutch) may very well let them into the lounge for a run too in the next few days!;)

TP - PLEASED!!!:D:D:D

yay! it's nice to see them having fun! when they follow you, it's just the sweetest thing.... except when i'm followed to the bathroom and i'm having a wee and bun stands up sniffing the air because he can smell a new, ahem, "scent"!! :oops:

yay! it's nice to see them having fun! when they follow you, it's just the sweetest thing.... except when i'm followed to the bathroom and i'm having a wee and bun stands up sniffing the air because he can smell a new, ahem, "scent"!! :oops:

Sorry, but: :lol::lol::lol:

I'm thinking I'll be locking the door!!

TP:lol:

Sorry, but: :lol::lol::lol:

I'm thinking I'll be locking the door!!

TP:lol:

:lol::lol:

i can't, i know if he doesn't follow me then he'll be taking the opportunity (as i'm out of the lounge) to get on the sofa and have a pee! grrr!

Oh God thats funny!!!

And I thought smokey joe humping my hand was hilarious!

H xx

Oh God! I think I'm going to find out soon enough that "house buns" aren't going to be always as "easy" as I'm finding it so far!:lol:..."Peeing on the sofa" indeed! I'm thinking ":shock:" would be an understatement if I sat in bunny pee!!!:lol::lol::lol:

TP;)

Oh God! I think I'm going to find out soon enough that "house buns" aren't going to be always as "easy" as I'm finding it so far!:lol:..."Peeing on the sofa" indeed! I'm thinking ":shock:" would be an understatement if I sat in bunny pee!!!:lol::lol::lol:

TP;)

apparently they usually stop this behaviour when they've been neutered so until then i just keep my eyes peeled and shoo him off the sofa as soon as he gets up there. i know that because he's done it once, he'll do it again if he has the chance.

some buns never do it so you may be lucky but just keep it in mind!

SO FAR I am thinking that I need not "extend run area" in my "matter not if you have an accident" kitchen as they are STILL loose in there and it's now nearly 2am! NO wee and about 5 poos I've had to sweep up (the rest in open hutch.) Through the glass doors that I have between kitchen and lounge I am watching them "binky" about like mad and having a "whale of a time"...I am wondering that I may be able to "by pass" extended run plan and just go "free run" in there from now on unless something happens to make me re-think...

TP;)

SO FAR I am thinking that I need not "extend run area" in my "matter not if you have an accident" kitchen as they are STILL loose in there and it's now nearly 2am! NO wee and about 5 poos I've had to sweep up (the rest in open hutch.) Through the glass doors that I have between kitchen and lounge I am watching them "binky" about like mad and having a "whale of a time"...I am wondering that I may be able to "by pass" extended run plan and just go "free run" in there from now in unless something happens to make me re-think...

TP;)

i would, especially as you can keep an eye on them through the glass. maybe shoo them home when you're in bed and if you go out, just incase! that's what i do and it seems to work well for both of us. i defo want to wait until he's been neutered before i start free-ranging him full time, simply because of the sofa thing.

...My thinking exactly Lauralou, and now somebody else has "seconded my thinking" going to do just that!:D

TP;)

Edit to add: They've both just hopped back into the hutch now and gone into the "bed" bit...I suspect that THEY'VE decided that it's time for bed!!:lol:

Last edited:
...My thinking exactly Lauralou, and now somebody else has "seconded my thinking" going to do just that!:D

TP;)

Edit to add: They've both just hopped back into the hutch now and gone into the "bed" bit...I suspect that THEY'VE decided that it's time for bed!!:lol:

bless them! all tired out from too much fun! it's a hard life isn't it? just playing and eating and being spoilt with love!!

Ah bless! I've just made a "tuk tuk" sound at the cage door (I don't know why I started doing this but they seem come running when I do!) and they both came out of the "bed" bit to see "Mum" ...kiss on their furry little heads later and a promise that the door will be open tomorrow and they skipped back to the "bed" bit as soon as I closed the hutch door...AWWW!:love:

TP - chuffed to bits!;)

Ah bless! I've just made a "tuk tuk" sound at the cage door (I don't know why I started doing this but they seem come running when I do!) and they both came out of the "bed" bit to see "Mum" ...kiss on their furry little heads later and a promise that the door will be open tomorrow and they skipped back to the "bed" bit as soon as I closed the hutch door...AWWW!:love:

TP - chuffed to bits!;)

:love::love: that's too cute!

Sounds like they are having fun! When they follow you around though...:love:

It may help when you bring them into each new room to place a soiled litter tray in a corner, and show them it. When they poo, pick it up and put it in the tray, and show them again. They'll soon learn.

We've had Bertie indoors for over a year, and he still isn't completely free here. It only takes a moments fascination with a bit of loose carpet thread, and before you know it, there's a huge hole there ;) When we're here, he has free access to the whole place, when we're out, we close off all the doors except his, so that he can still run around the corridor and his room.

In the lounge, he always poos by his tray (as well as in it), as he has decided that the corner its placed in is 'his'. so marks it, and is quite protective of it, so they may well poo outside the box, but it can be terratorial.

Glad to hear they are settling in so well :D

Weeing on the sofa is the least of my worries; I currently have several holes in the back of my sofa where they love to dig & pull out the stuffing. I do try covering it when I leave the room but the little rascals always find a way round & start digging again. Thankfully neither me nor my O/H are houseproud

ahh bless, they even put themselves to bed. I have to bribe mine with food. They've never seemed interested in out sofa, be it to pee or chew. They do like the rattan chairs though but I hate them so don't mind.

Mine like to tug on the curtains behind the sofa if in the living room during the day - but at night they spend more time looking at us.

Been lucky I think with no real destruction of anything I like (hate the curtains, long story) they are more keen on hay and willow balls than carpets and rugs.

Sounds like you have had a relaly fun weekend though! Its great to see them exploring more and running about isn't it?

Back