• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jazzy again :'(

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Just found another lump on Jazz :cry: this time nearer his left cheek, which I'm guessing is bad news :cry: I really dont want to put him through endless amounts of operations but I dont want to lose him and am willing to try anything to make him better. are there any antibiotics that can treat abcesses? hes had the lumps removed once but theyv come back plus more:cry: I'm gutted and I dont know what to do, the vet refused to operate last time as it was too soon after his last op (3wks) im taking him back as soon as my money goes into my account next week. I'm so upset I dont want to lose him hes my baby :cry: He acting his normal self though.

Also what would you consier to be too much treatment if you know what I mean? like whats the most ops I should put him through:cry:

so sorry to hear about Jazz.

I have used ceporex in the past for dental abcesses, this needs to be injected daily.

As far as how much treatment to put him through, only you can decide that as each bunny is so different in terms of what they can cope with and still enjoy life.

One of my bunnies Walter battled severe abcesses for over a year, going through operation after operation, but he continued to enjoy life to the full until the end. Where as another of mine couldn't cope with the treatment at all so when her abcess returned for the second time I had her pts straight away.

My general motto is, treat all bunnies the same but differently, if that makes sense. Basically all my bunnies are given the same level of care and treatment but how far I go with it depends on their individual personalities and their ability to enjoy life.

So at the end of the day only you can decide on Jazz's ability to enjoy life and whether to continue with treatment

i hope this helps and good luck

so sorry to hear about Jazz.

I have used ceporex in the past for dental abcesses, this needs to be injected daily.

As far as how much treatment to put him through, only you can decide that as each bunny is so different in terms of what they can cope with and still enjoy life.

One of my bunnies Walter battled severe abcesses for over a year, going through operation after operation, but he continued to enjoy life to the full until the end. Where as another of mine couldn't cope with the treatment at all so when her abcess returned for the second time I had her pts straight away.

My general motto is, treat all bunnies the same but differently, if that makes sense. Basically all my bunnies are given the same level of care and treatment but how far I go with it depends on their individual personalities and their ability to enjoy life.

So at the end of the day only you can decide on Jazz's ability to enjoy life and whether to continue with treatment

i hope this helps and good luck

Excellent advice :)

Sending vibes for Jazz

Janex

Abcesses

Hi, Im New To This Forum But Need Like Yourself Help For My Bun.ive Just Found Another Lump(larger Than Before) And Last Op Was 3 Wks Ago!!!!!!! Ive Scanned Different Websites And Have Found An Antibiotic That Some Are Raving About Its Called "bicillin" Its The Only Safe Penicillin Combined With Benzathine, But Not All Vets Have Access To It.im So Frightened Of Losing My 3 Yr Old Dwarf Lop Just Like You But I Dont Want Him To Suffer.hope This Bit Of Info Helps You.billysmom.

Well my Lionel has had an abcess on his leg since we got him at 10 weeks old first of all it was drained and packed but came straight back then he went under GA and had it removed and was put on baytril and it came back, then he went under GA again and this time was put on depocilin injections every few days which he had up until Xmas last year, that seemed to work and all was fine until a few weeks ago - another lump appeared my vet was hoping it was excess cartlidge but then several other lumps appeared. She has put him back on depocilin injections and hopes this will clear it up - I am not convinced that it will get rid of the ones already there and will be speaking to her tomorrow about having it removed again and then staying on depocilin indefinately as it kept it at bay last time, have you tried this?
My vet doesn't really want him to go under GA again hes only 9 months old and has been under twice already, trouble is he is holding up the leg that its on and barely using it again but he is ok within himslef if not a bit moody! I will keep going with him as i already know he is a fighter! I think each bunnie is different though and you know your bunny best.
Hope you can get it sorted x

Thanks for the replys, hes going to the vets as soon as I get paid which will either be the last day in this month or the first in next. I'm so worried, but he just seems to be his normal bouncy self.

Going to be booking him in at the vets for tuesday, I'm so nervous for him. I believe hes a fighter as hes bounced back from every op hes had. I'm willing to try anything to make him better. Money doesnt even come into it I will find the money no matter what.

Some people say im stupid as Iv spent hundreds on Jazz's vet treatment people keep saying I could of bought more rabbits to replace him. It breaks my heart everytime I hear someone say that how can some people be so heartless :'(

some people can be so heartless :cry: Iv spent over £1,200 in the last year treating an abscess for my molly, the reaction I usually get is 'wouldn't it be easier and cheaper if he just died' :evil:

Personally although he has had 3 operations in the last year to treat his ear abscess, he bounces back straight after and usually regains his appetite after a day or two. Within a week hes back to his normal silly self so for me pts is not an option until I think hes had enough and couldn't cope anymore. Baytril I found to be ineffective so hes had it surgically removed and is on penicillin injections.

My vet seemed quite confident that he would be ok having another GA as his last one was 10 weeks before and he came around from it really quickly. On a personal note, I think it is worth the risk of having him put under if there is no alternative. My previous vets were very reluctant to keep treating him and wanted him to be pts after the abscess returned a second time but to be honest if they wanted to euthanise him anyway then having it surgically removed wouldn't make a difference. If that makes sense?

Some vets are very reluctant to be aggressive with abscesses because they believe abscesses will nearly always come back. True in a lot of cases but rabbits can live perfectly happy lives where the abscess can be managed.

A friend of mine had a bun who had a dental abscess removed and returned a year later. Its been 3 1/2 years now and evey year when it reoccurs he just goes and has it removed and is fine within a few weeks.

Sorry for the long post but I know only too well how you feel. Abscesses are nightmares but depending on each individual bun they can be managed where the bun can still lead a very happy life.

xx

hi, i have had people say the same cruel things said to me.i recently lost my big boy dudley,but before hand we did all we could and spent around 600 pounds,i would have spent it all again over and over if it could have saved him.but someone i worked with said"would'nt it have just been cheaper to buy another rabbit!"some people just don't care.i really hope your bun gets better.i had to have my old girlie elvie pts at 9yrs old due to an abcess.my vet at the time recommended that i did as it was'nt fair to put her through another op as the abcess had spread to her gland.so i took the vets advice and you know what-i have regreted it ever since,because she was still so full of life,even as she was going to 'sleep'she was fighting it,it broke my heart.i wish i had given her another chance.so don't be like me,go with your gut instinct.good luck.x

I spent £1000 on walter in the year that I had him. He had come from an awful situation when I took him on and although he went through so much in that year he enjoyed his life to the full inbetween surgery. If I hadn't paid out for him all he would have known was a terrible life, so every penny I paid was really worth it.

I would do it again without question

Thanks for the replys. I'm not going to give up on him he's my lil man. and if the vet says to put him to sleep I will find another vet who is willing to treat him.

Hi Again!

Hi Again, Just wondering how jazz is, were both in exactly the same boat.Dont know if you remember we text the other day.Itoo have a 3yr lop, he had an abcess 4wks ago and i found another the weekend.Billy was operated on yesterday and has had a drain put in, this time the abcess was much nastier and hes not bounced back as well its heartbreaking, hes just drank and been eating a bit of hay and grated veg.Hes been put on baytril but its horrible as im always waiting for another abcess to rise, bet you are the same.Like you i just want the best for him, and i have also had comments like "you could of bought 20 rabbits for how much youve spent", which is hurtful.To people who dont own buns i dont think they realise what loving animals they are.Anyway wishing jazz best bunny wishes .billysmom.x:wave:

Back