• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So disheartened with pet shops

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
In the last week I have been into two privately owned petshops in different towns and been totally disappointed and saddened at both.:cry:

The first had a (8 week old approx) rew lop which didn't respond at all to me in a dirty cage with no toys or shelter, and a large french lop in a disgustingly dirty perspex tank again with no shelter or toys or room to move :? This one was not for sale and when i asked why the girl told me that it's because its her own bunny. Nice!

The second was totay and the shop had 4 beautiful baby lionheads in with two guinea pigs in a teensy tank!! One of the bunnies wasn't moving and had a runny nose. The rest were quite chirpy looking. When i asked the owner about whether the quiet one was ok she said 'yeah she's just lazy' but when i made her pick her up and check she had a swollen belly and dirty filthy genitals. The woman then looked quite embarrassed and took her down the back to 'get her cleaned up'. I'm pretty sure she was just put back in with the others after i left.

She had no idea about how old they were, or where they came from or if they were well handled.

I was just totally disheartened both times. I'm planning on getting another female bun, and in two minds. I was planning to go straight to a reputable local breeder who is RWA and BRC registered so that I know they are well treated and bred properly. But then when I see these little innocent buns for sale in this neglected state I just want to rescue them!

I hate that they play on our sympathies in order to make sales :evil::evil:

Thats horrid !!!:evil::evil::evil:

Well i know there have been several incidents with pets at home but we have one near us and they look after their bunnies very well they have thier very own "bunny village" but i have been to shops with tiny cages and big bunnies shoved in there or perspect tanks will small bunnies run around:roll:

That's awful. Poor bunnies. I won't go in one of the petshops near me as they sell kittens as well as bunnies and its far to depressing. The petshop is small so it is difficult to avoid seeing them.

I actually made a call to the SSPCA out of concern for the first place. It just felt wrong that the poor bunny was her 'pet' an being kept like that in a pet shop!!

:evil::cry:

If you want another bunny, please, don't 'rescue' a sickly bun from the store, as hard as it is, its better to walk away and not support the :censored: who did this.:cry: If you buy sick rabbits they'll always produce another to take its place and if you can't take em all, its a pointless circle.

If you want to rescue a bunny, why not look on the main site- www.rabbitrehome.org.uk :D

Back