• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with waste from buns

I dump mine on the garden all winter, but stopped about a fortnight ago and am back to bagging it up - it takes several months to rot down into the soil and meanwhile it stinks. If you build 2 big composters you could compost it, but they fill up quick. I used to hire a skip but now I just admire the bin bags on the patio - skip was costing me £10 a week :roll:

I use mine in the garden. The used carefresh goes into the compost bin & any stray poos go straight on to potted plants.

If you've got too much to dispose of you could always offer it to local gardeners or gardeners club for their compost heaps:D

Will you local council take it? We get a Saturday rubbish collection for ''green waste''. I do compost most of mine but the bin fills up quite quickly.

Dustmen take it away.

I did enquire as to whether I could put it in the garden waste bins we have that the council collect every two weeks, but they said no. The only want grass clippings and plant clippings and not bunny poo as they use it for composting themselves for the parks etc around here. I dont think they think bunny poop is very good to have all over the parks.

I compost as much as I can and offer the rest up on Freecycle for people who don't have rabbits for their gardens and allotments.

When I have just too much, then it all goes, with the Megazorb in to sacks and goes to the tip for green waste.

The newspaper is split out for recycling too.

It's a lot of work but I can't bring myself to just put all of the waste into landfill.

Compost - rabbit poo apparently breaks everything in the compost down quicker. We go through quite alot of megazorb wastage though so don't put it all in the compost. Once it gets a bit nicer, we can spread the stuff we've made in there on the garden and start again.

You can put all fruit and veg waste etc in there as well, egg shells, grass, leaves - makes lovely homegrown compost. Win win situation :thumb:

My local tip refuse to take it, and we're not allowed to put it in our garden rubbish bin.

I was toying with the idea of asking the council for another general waste bin, but I'm too scared in case they say I shouldn't be putting rabbit waste in there either :roll:

Apparently those circular compost bins on stands that you can turn are meant to compost faster than the normal kind, so I'm thinking of getting one of those.

Its hard bcos i have no room in my normal waste bin and they wont take it in the garden waste bin so i thought i could use it in the garden,i am going to build a compost bin quite big ,does it compost quite quick?

Rick

All mine go in the green waste bin, I remove as much newspaper as I can and top it up with garden waste. Never had a problem doing this.

Back