• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell which is the dominant bunny?

As a new bunny owner I am finding bunny behaviour fascinating and a little confusing. I have a dwarf lop girl about 2 years old and a small lionhead cross boy about 9 months old and am curious to know which, if either is he boss. Misty, the girl, is a little more confident and bigger than Pebbles the boy. They both take food away from each other but Misty seems to do most of the grooming. When Misty is drinking Pebbles likes to put his head next to and slightly under hers so she ends up licking him rather than drinking and has to push him away. Also I was suprised to see Misty hopping on Pebbles back! I've never seen him do that to her.
Any tips on understanding what their behaviour means would be much appreciated.

It sounds to me like Misty is dominant. The mounting is a dominance sign, as is the grooming. My Doris is the boss in our house, and Dougal likes to sit with his head under her chin so she can clean him :)

Back