• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly but hyper

Muppet2

Alpha Buck
Muppet wasnt well this morning (not interested in me or food, sitting all hunched up) so we went off to the emergency vets. He had injections of metacam and metoclopramide around 11.00. These have perked him up - he's had something to drink, nibbled some hay and eaten a couple of SS pellets. No poo yet though.

But he's extra perky. OK so he didnt have his morning run round the garden but this time of day he's normally quiet. He seems pretty hyper - he's scampering round (on laminate, which he doesnt like, so he only bothers when he's frisky), throwing toilet roll tubes about, tossing hay, etc etc. It's fun to watch but knowing it's not 'normal' makes me wary.

Can the drugs* have this effect? I'm tempted to let him out for a good run, since the exercise will probably help his stomach get moving, but on the other hand indoors he's got food to nibble on more readily, his litter tray is here (he wont go in the garden!!) and I can keep an eye on him.

(*Last time he had potential gut stasis, the painkiller he had was opiate based so he just zonked out for 8 hours - I dont have any experience of seeing him with the M&M combination.)

Hiya :wave:

It could just be that hes feeling better now hes had some pain relief and something to push his guts on. If hes munching on some food I would encourage him to move around etc as it will get his guts moving. :)

Hi Rick, If you let him out in the garden he'll nibble on the grass which is just as good as hay for the guts.

:oops:sorry:oops: Massive senior moment.. I read Muppet, but my brain saw Mullethead!!

Last edited:
I realised and thought I'd be kind and not point that out ;) :lol:

Muppet has done some poo so I'm happier now. And eaten his remaining breakfast pellets and drank watered down pineapple juice :D Just so long as he's still fine when the M&M wear off...

Back